Central Florida Ride

PaddyO

Supercharged
Ride
2014 R3T
Edit:
Here is a ride I am interested in doing Scenic Highway. The ride will begin just north of the Scenic Highway which runs along a ridge which goes down the middle of the state. The Scenic Highway runs along State Road 17 beginning in Haines City and ends in Frostproof. From there we will continue along State Road 17 to Sebring and then County Road 17 to Lake Placid where we will eat lunch at the Smoke Shack BBQ. We will then continue the Lake Okeechobee Park where we will be able to see the largest freshwater lake in the state of Florida. This lake is so large, it can easily be seen from space.

I had the time this past Saturday, 2/16, to preview the route. I decided the portion of the previously posted route south of Lake Placid was too slow and boring to be worth doing. Lots of straights with not much eye candy. Since we will be so close to Lake Okeechobee, I thought we could go check it out. I also discovered that we will be riding almost constantly past orange groves. The fragrance of the oranges was wonderful. Hopefully that will still be the case when we take this ride. The Scenic Highway will take us through towns that can be described as "Old Florida". Historic town centers; the old, one story travel hotels from back in the day; Spanish moss hanging from trees; and cattle farms all at a leisurely pace. If you are looking for speed, this is not the ride for you. There are some nice sweepers we will encounter, though. The Smoke Shack BBQ had some of the best BBQ I have ever eaten. It alone makes this a worthy Ride To Eat (RTE).

Where we go for dinner will depend on people from the southern part of the state. If the people from the south want to join us "northerners" for dinner, we will go a well reviewed Cuban restaurant, Havana Delights and Cafe in, Bartow. From there everyone can head to their respective destinations. If they head home before we eat, we will instead, go a little further to Lakeland. Here we will eat at Fred's Market Restaurant. This is well reviewed buffet style restaurant.

Tripps, you had mentioned getting a hotel so you would not have to go home in the dark. Lakeland has more options regarding hotels than Bartow. We would make sure you get your hotel and then people can head back to their respective homes.

We would meet up at 9:00 am at the Shell Station (10704 US-98 N, Lakeland, Florida) which is at the corner of US-98 and Rockridge Road. We would arrive at the Smoke Shack BBQ at around noon. If we eat at the Havana Delights and Cafe, we would arrive there around 4:40 pm. If we eat at Fred's Market Restaurant, we would arrive there about 5:00. Either way Tripps, we would get you to your hotel before dark.

The ride will take place on a Saturday. I will keep an eye on the weather forecast and post a date for the ride about 10 days before. Post here if you are interested in the ride once the ride date is set. This way we will know who to look for.

Last edited:
Interested I might get a hotel room for the night so I don't have to ride home in the dark.

Oh hell yeh that sounds fantastic but I’m stuck in Tennessee.

Hello all. As of this point in time (2/22 @ 7:17 am) the forecast for Saturday, 3/2 is looking like there will be no rain along the ride as we will be going along. There may be rain before we get to different points along the way, but not when we will be passing through. Please read the first post as I have made changes in the route from having previewed the ride. Please indicate in this thread if you are interested in coming on this ride so we know who to expect. If the forecast changes as we get closer to Saturday, 3/2, I will post info on the thread. After having previewed the ride, this is going to be a really good ride. Hope to see y'all there.

Paddy

Hello all. As of this point in time (2/22 @ 7:17 am) the forecast for Saturday, 3/2 is looking like there will be no rain along the ride as we will be going along. There may be rain before we get to different points along the way, but not when we will be passing through. Please read the first post as I have made changes in the route from having previewed the ride. Please indicate in this thread if you are interested in coming on this ride so we know who to expect. If the forecast changes as we get closer to Saturday, 3/2, I will post info on the thread. After having previewed the ride, this is going to be a really good ride. Hope to see y'all there.

Paddy

I’m going to try and change plans to join you if that’s OK...only poss. Right now but I’m gonna try.

Just want to give this a bump. I will be calling Smoke Shack BBQ in Lake Placid on Friday to let then know how many for whom to hold a table. It is a small place. I was told they would do this for us. This place is definitely RTE worthy.

Question: If the ride were shortened to just the Scenic Highway would there be more interest in this ride? We would get to the Smoke Shack BBQ in Lake Placid around noon, eat lunch and then head back. This would put us in Bartow/Lakeland about 1:30, Dade City about 2:00, Brooksville about 3:00. What do y'all think?

Question: If the ride were shortened to just the Scenic Highway would there be more interest in this ride? We would get to the Smoke Shack BBQ in Lake Placid around noon, eat lunch and then head back. This would put us in Bartow/Lakeland about 1:30, Dade City about 2:00, Brooksville about 3:00. What do y'all think?

Too soon for me but I may steal your route map and do it on my own when I get down there! :thumbsup:

I arrive in Orlando 3/7, then heading for the Keys 3/10-13 (bike hopefully arrives on 3/11) and back to Orlando to do day trips to Daytona Bike Week 3/14-16.

In case this ride gets moved to 3/23 I will be checking out of Westgate up the road on Rt219 and going to my brothers about 4 miles from your second flag and could meet there...

Back