Carpenterized Touring

Tripps

Retired superhero
Ride
R3T,Sprintona,K1200GT, Blackbird,r/65 hack
Well, I picked up my bike from Carpenter, did 200 miles on the way home. I will post my initial impressions. I only drove my bike about a year, stock. I added Jardines, triple K&Ns, and a retune with TuneECU, .and drove that 2 years. So what the difference is from stock, I can no longer accurately say, as I am not comparing the bike to a stock bike, there is no way I can accurately say what the stocker was like, it's been too long.

Below 3000 rpm, my Jardines with Hanso's tune was definitely stronger, from 3500-4000 I'd say it was a tossup, At 5000 or 6000 it just screams, no question that they provide what's advertized.the Carpenter package definitely comes into it's own at 4000 and above.

Most of what I knew about the Carpenter package came from the .com site, a couple/few guys there had it done. My main observation is that people tend to have an emotional investment in their decisions, in other words, if people spend a lot of money on something, they cannot bring themselves to say it wasn't worth it, I think most people can understand that.

I questioned why Carpenter's dyno charts never showed anything below 3500 rpm, "someone" replied that it was hard on drivetrain/didn't matter, whatever. I suspect the reason is that there is nothing there. Like I said, I don't remember accurately what actual stock would be, but as I said, Hanso's tune and Jardines was definitely stronger below 3500 rpms. 3500-4000, I'd say it was a tossup, above 4000 and up, the Carpenter bike is crazy fast. I have to honestly say though, at 60, 70, even 80 mph, a 5th gear roll-on is rather disappointing, it has less than what I had. A couple people on the .com site said it was nice being able to just roll on, instead of downshifting, I have to assume they must have come off a stock bike. I can't say they didn't deliver what they promised, but for an inexperienced person viewing a dyno graph, it's hard to translate it to real world. All I can say, is that going from stock (on a Touring), to a good aftermarket exhaust, and a retune, is comparable to going from that, to a Carpenter package. If someone had lent me a Carpenter bike for a weekend, I'm not sure if I would spend that kind of money. But it really does pull, if you get the rpms up there. There is obviously a lot of power there, but how much more you can use in the real world, I'm not sure, I promise I will put some more miles on it and report back. And Bob Carpenter is a gentleman and a scholar, my friend who took me up there ( a diesel mechanic) was really impressed by his shop, he said a half dozen times, you could eat off his shop floor, he didn't use the bathroom, I did, you could actually eat off the bathroom floor, LOL. First class setup.

Last edited:
Probably, but I tried to be objective, and not be emotionally invested in it.

I enjoyed the review, thanks. Very objective. I created a post a while back about keeping the Rocket stock or to upgrade. I've watched the Carpenter racing youtube video when they tested the bike at the drag strip, very impressive. All mods have a purpose and I think you said it perfectly, "there is obviously a lot of power there, but how much more can you use in the real world". Maybe this is one mod that belongs on the track. Looking forward to your future post on the subject.
Cheers

Thanks for the hands on review, I wouldn't call it a waste of money because once you get used to the new power band you'll start enjoying it. just shifting at higher rpm's and feeling the pull as the power rolls on is the most addicting feeling there is. I hope you have loads of farm roads to play.

Thanks for the hands on review, I wouldn't call it a waste of money because once you get used to the new power band you'll start enjoying it. just shifting at higher rpm's and feeling the pull as the power rolls on is the most addicting feeling there is. I hope you have loads of farm roads to play.

No, I didn't say that at all, for me the jury is still out, I realize that the high rpms will take some getting used to. I live very rural, many nice big sweepers. Going for a ride today, but the wife will be on the back, with a pillion it would lift the front tire even before the Carpenter package.

Probably, but I tried to be objective, and not be emotionally invested in it.

There's a reason they call it "Racing". You probably could break 10. I wonder if just doing the pistons would leave the torque curve in place, just higher?

I have been considering the "Carp Upgrade" as well. So thank you for the review. If you have time can you please tell us about the upgrade that you already did pre-Caprenter? How much did it cost you and how difficult would it be for someone with no experience but is relatively bright could perform? Time to search the forum on the subject.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Josh

I enjoyed the review, thanks. Very objective. I created a post a while back about keeping the Rocket stock or to upgrade. I've watched the Carpenter racing youtube video when they tested the bike at the drag strip, very impressive. All mods have a purpose and I think you said it perfectly, "there is obviously a lot of power there, but how much more can you use in the real world". Maybe this is one mod that belongs on the track. Looking forward to your future post on the subject.
Cheers

Didn't mean to presume, apologize for that. Your explanation reminded me of my harley that rolled on at 3500 and pulled til 6k (highest i went) and for me the lag was so worth the rush but I do agree many times I wished that power was down where i would keep my license if caught.

Back