'21 Z H2, '14 R3R, '02 Daytona 955i
I'll keep this as short as I can.

Carpenter Kit
DEcosse Ignition
Yusa Battery that tests good
1.2kw starter
Extra 4 gauge ground cable installed
Temps have been low 40s in the morning.

Have the bike on a charger overnight, battery measures at 13.4 volts resting. When I hit the switch it tries but fails to turn the motor. This sets my "distance to empty gauge" to 0 as voltage drops below the ECUs threshold. I plug in my Antigravity jump box, it fires without issue. Then, for the rest of the day it starts fine, but sometimes doesn't, and I have to jump box it again.

Once started everything is fine, voltages while idling are in the high 13 range.

It's not putting a big load on the jump box, haven't charged it in 4 days, still reads fully charged after 15 or so jump starts. I never had a single issue with DEcosse's ignition before and don't believe that is the problem.

My question:
Is this a battery issue, a "need a 1.4kw starter" issue, or a both battery and 1.4kw starter issue?

Remember: Biggest Carpenter cam, 13.5ish compression.

EDIT: I ordered a cheap replacement battery, OEM cross-refrenced part number, it was even worse.

Does it sound like the relay engages then tries to turn motor over then stops (sounds “Chunk”)? Then won’t even click the relay? If so change your start relay (right hand side cover - relay in the middle).
This was happening to my Lush 248hp bike.
Almost like the relay wants to do the job then says nope.

I fought the same issue today. Cleaned ground and hot from battery, and ground on motor, and hot to starter, and retightened all. Checked all relays. Not sure which it was, but it seems to spin faster than ever, even with the stock starter.

Don't know enough yet about the rocket but do know a few things about built Harley's. Hot cams hard starts. larger starter required. Easy start cams are #rap.

Back