cant get good pressure on front brakes

El Bruto

.060 Over
Ride
Rocket 3 2005/6 modifed!!!!
Hi all..

Bike is in tear down at the moment with dreaded gear selector bolt loose...
but while its in pieces i thought i would tackle a few other minor issues

main one being that i can never seem to get good brake pressure on the front... it improves if i pump it, but when left i can squeeze the lever to the bars... blead through a couple of times, no leaks apparent and no air in lines.. any advice, have i missed something?

All I know is that if you get firm lever pressure that holds after pumping a few times, but go to the bar on a fresh squeeze, there has to be air in the lines.

There are MANY Rocket 3s. If you would note your year & model under your avatar folks could be of better assistance.
Do you have ABS.

noted.. and changed...
so ya reckon air in lines.. someone said i could pump fluid in from caliper up to reservoir.. its easier as the bubbles rise..

is this correct?

noted.. and changed...
so ya reckon air in lines.. someone said i could pump fluid in from caliper up to reservoir.. its easier as the bubbles rise..
is this correct?

Heh heh heh - I was referring to the "Ride" section under your avatar, but what you have done works fine!
I have a pump, but always do mine the old fashion way when I have an extra pair of hands around.
I pump until fluid is clear and I have stong pressure at the lever.
I would note that my front brake application does feel softer (more gradual) and not as abrupt as my rear.
On occasion, it has taken me many "close, pump, hold, open, hold, close again" sequences to get it done.

You have air in the system. A pocket of tiny bubbles can really screw up your day. Been there and done that. You think you got it and after a few more or maybe a lot more pumps the air pocket shows up and woozy you have brakes again. PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE.:(:(:(:(

I am having the same issue with my 05 standard. I flushed two bottles of dot 4 through the front system to insure cleanliness. But I still have to pump it. (The breaks);)

I have had a similar issue in the past, definitely no air in the system but first application of lever its comes in along way and pumps up firm, turns out the caliper seals were holding the pistons back, an easy fix is to push the pads right out till they wont go any further and pump the lever till they return to the disc, hey presto the lever was firm and have had no issues

I have had a similar issue in the past, definitely no air in the system but first application of lever its comes in along way and pumps up firm, turns out the caliper seals were holding the pistons back, an easy fix is to push the pads right out till they wont go any further and pump the lever till they return to the disc, hey presto the lever was firm and have had no issues
Thanks I'll give it a try.

Get a couple of larger, flat screwdrivers (or something similar) and pry the front disk pads away from the rotor. Now pump the brakes back up again. Now repeat for the other side. Your brakes should now be solid again. Repeat every few months, or as required.

Back