can the rear tyre be removed without damaging it?

Mike Sands

Supercharged
Ride
roadster 2012
My Triumph dealer says they have never managed to get one off without hacksawing it or using an angle grinder. Does anyone in the UK know of anywhere that could remove the rear tyre (it's brand new) and then replace it after some wheel rim repair work?
Thanks
Mike

If its a Metzler it is hard because of the super thick side walls of the tire. That is one of the advantages of the Mezt because you can get a flat tire on it and still ride it at a lower speed to a gas station. I road mine 15 miles to one because I did not have a compressor then plugged her and down the road I went. If it would have been a Avon she would have been sitting on the rim. I am not sure about the Bridgestone as I have not had a flat on one of them yet. So it really dpends on the tire machine, compressor strength and the ability of the operator.

Sorry.
San Diego is too far, but my dealer near here has changed this beast twice with no visible damage.
I can't say about how it's off or what the inside of the rim.

The wheel doesn't have a dip in the center of the rim for the bead to fall into and then let the bead get off the rim. With the flat rim inside it's really hard to get under the bead.

A good tire shop should be able to do it.

Even if you use a die cutter, you should be able to get it off without damaging the visible outer sides of the rim.

My Triumph dealer says they have never managed to get one off without hacksawing it or using an angle grinder. Does anyone in the UK know of anywhere that could remove the rear tyre (it's brand new) and then replace it after some wheel rim repair work?
Thanks Mike
Mike - Any decent tyre centre can remove it in one piece. Certainly my tyre place managed with no issues at all. LOTS OF TYRE SOAP ON THE MACHINE and big burly tyre guys.

Two out of three times; that I've taken my rear wheel in for new rubber; I've been cussed at and told to not come back with the wheel. It apparently is hated by those whom try to deal with it.

Careful there barbagris, with all that talk about lots of soap and big burly guys you are going to get TriumPhil all excited. :lol:

Yes, indeed, the Great Unwashed do get my dander up, Ian. What do they get up for you, I wonder?:p

No problems removing an Avon or a Metz from Grizzlys at Folkestone, but they did have to saw off my Toyo.

I suspect that's too far from Hartlepool though, Mike :smile:

No problems removing an Avon or a Metz from Grizzlys at Folkestone, but they did have to saw off my Toyo.

I suspect that's too far from Hartlepool though, Mike :smile:

It's a new Metzeler Owl, and yes I think that would be quite a ride to change a tyre.
Mike

Back