Can I get some tired advice?

foxviewnet

With foxes we must play the fox!
Ride
2007 Rocket iii Classic 2006 Yamaha Vmax
Hey guys,
After riding about 900 miles on the Avon Cobras that came with my used 2007 R3 Classic, I am trying to decide what the replacements will be. I have read many of the tire threads on the forum but still can't decide what is my best choice. The rear is a 240/50R16 and the front is a 150/80R17. I finally got into some slight twisties today and it handled fair with some effort. I just don't feel confident to lean into the corners at speed. I was riding 2 up so it feels a little heavy. There is still good tread on rear and the front doesn't look thin but getting close to my minimum preference.

Also I have experienced that when I am turning at an intersection at low speeds I tend to go wider on the turn than I like. Seems like I run to the outer edge of my lane on a slow left turn from a light. Feel like a newbie but I am fighting the slow turns. Has anyone experienced this on slow turns from a light or any 90 degree left or rights? Is this a tire issue or technique? I feel really awkward since I am struggling and can't seem to work through it. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Chris

It's the stock geometry. Trust the Avons they're great tires, many of us have them fully used, edge to edge.

If you replace them and instead use a 140/75 on the front it'll speed up your steering a good bit.

If you go 140/75 up front and use the Bridgestone Excedra Max out back you'll changing the geometry enough to make it quite a bit more agile.

A lot of folks on here have posted info about tires and the different but very limited options. I went from the stock tires to Avon Cobras both front and back and noticed A improvement on handling but not much on milage. Now running a Dunlop Elite three on the front and a bridgestone car tire on the back. Some folks on here will Jump up and down and tell you all that it is a bad set up. Front tire not the right size and a car tire out of the question. That's ok. Then again they have their opinion and I have mine. I can say that the Dunlop Elite three with the bridgestone car tire on the back is sweet. Then again I have a 20015 ROCKET X bought in Oct. 2015 new with 25,000 miles on the Odometer and may not have a clue. I ride hard and fast at times and love the way it handles. Never have been a professional rider but have spent a lot of time riding. 2010 Fatboy Harley bought new and now has 100,000 miles. So you can take it for what it is worth. Love the set up and handles great.:):):):):):):):)

Last edited:
Cobras on front and back. Works very well and I get about 10K mikes on mine. I did change the front to the 140/75. Handling is very much improved. I did a track day with these and was scraping my expensive Rivco floorboards all day. Still scrape them. No chicken strips on my Cobras.

One thing to think about improving cornering handling confidence is to improve the front and rear suspension. Something better for the rear shocks such as Progressive 430, 440 or 444. Improve the front forks with Progressive fork springs and increase the fork oil weight to 7. Makes the bike rock solid in the twisties and take all the wobbles out of it.

Never have been on a track. Agree with the suspension improvements. Looking at wilbers. The stock set up sucks. Taking a good turn on the street under less than ideal conditions (pot Holes) is a lot more interesting and challenging then a high dollar track ride. Just saying. Keeping it real.:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Regarding the low speed cornering, for me, I have to do what I consider an overly done shift of body weight over the outside to get to full lock, and I really found it awkward with the stock bars.

Maybe just try moving more outside edge of bike when turning at low speed high angle, I move my butt outward and can ride circles at full lock like that.

It's the stock geometry. Trust the Avons they're great tires, many of us have them fully used, edge to edge.

If you replace them and instead use a 140/75 on the front it'll speed up your steering a good bit.

If you go 140/75 up front and use the Bridgestone Excedra Max out back you'll changing the geometry enough to make it quite a bit more agile.

Thanks for this advice. I think I will go with the 140/75 up front and see how that feels. Would you recommend the same Cobra on the rear or opt for the Excedra Max?

Also from other posts, I will shift my weight to the outside more in slow turns and work thru that transition. Shocks are stock length with no changes, but after tire change I will look at refining suspension. Thanks all!

Mine is a Touring, but I found quicker turn-in/easier steering with the Avons vs stock Metzlers, it is a big bike. The Avons have a sharper profile, I think that's about as good as you are going to get as far as easy steering, and they last about 50% longer than the stock tires, grip seems about equal.

Back