Can I eliminate the speedometer?

vocaldog

VocalDog
Ride
2005 Rocket Standard
Does anyone know if it's possible to bypass the speedometer circuitry and take it off the bike without causing problems? I'm looking to replace my broken speedo, but in the interim while I'm shopping, I want to ride without speed sensor error problems. I'm also considering using the speedo and tach on Tune ECU and and android device as an alternative.

i have been following your threads and i think that the saying if its not broke dont fix it should apply.
to answer this question if the pins r broken then it has lost connection and it is not necessary to do anything to it leave it alone.
as i understand the bike will not run. so if that is correct u need to focus on that problem.
i think from your threads that it turns over ok but will not fire. if that is the case then we need to know if u hear the fuel pump run for 2 seconds when ign on? also take a test light (with ign on) and see if u have 12 volts at the coils?
i do not do weekends but i will try to help today.
what u do next will depend on the answers u give?

i have been following your threads and i think that the saying if its not broke dont fix it should apply.

Zat why I put a big black dot sticker over the *>@^*+=>:# fuel gauge "dummy light" that stays on all the time since I got the float rod stuck when I put on a new fuel filter? Yup reset trip mileage at fill up does the trick ;)
If it's broke - still don't fix it.................... Unless you need it :whitstling:

to answer this question if the pins r broken then it has lost connection and it is not necessary to do anything to it leave it alone.
as i understand the bike will not run. so if that is correct u need to focus on that problem.
i think from your threads that it turns over ok but will not fire. if that is the case then we need to know if u hear the fuel pump run for 2 seconds when ign on? also take a test light (with ign on) and see if u have 12 volts at the coils?
i do not do weekends but i will try to help today.
what u do next will depend on the answers u give?

Thanks for your help. Yes, the bike turns over but does not fire. The fuel pump runs when ignition is switched on. I'll have to test the coils over the weekend. My motivation to eliminate the speedo was a rather gruff reply from DeCosse telling me that the speedo is wired to power the speed sensor unit and is the cause for my 'speed sensor circuit malfunction' error code.

decosse is right. we probably agree that u r spending to much effort on the speedo and not enough time on the running prob.
it would be good to run a voltage check across all the fuses. u can also put some starting fluid in the filters to see if u have a fuel or ign problem.
i am sure there are several guys that would help u get it running if u work with them. hth herman

decosse is right. we probably agree that u r spending to much effort on the speedo and not enough time on the running prob.
it would be good to run a voltage check across all the fuses. u can also put some starting fluid in the filters to see if u have a fuel or ign problem.
i am sure there are several guys that would help u get it running if u work with them. hth herman
So it is safe to assume that the speedo pins breaking is NOT the cause of the bike running rough and then eventually not starting, and only the cause of the sensor error? I should put starting fluid directly into the air filter and see if it fires momentarily? I will check voltage across fuses and at the coils tomorrow. Thank you.

So it is safe to assume that the speedo pins breaking is NOT the cause of the bike running rough and then eventually not starting, and only the cause of the sensor error? I should put starting fluid directly into the air filter and see if it fires momentarily? I will check voltage across fuses and at the coils tomorrow. Thank you.

that is my way of thinking i am thinking that u have a least two problems and the speedo is the one not to worry about (of coarse i am assuming the broken pins is the speedo prob. and the rest of the stuff in speedo is working ok. if u get it running the check engine light will stay on till u fix speedo.
hth good luck

.... My motivation to eliminate the speedo was a rather gruff reply from DeCosse telling me that the speedo is wired to power the speed sensor unit and is the cause for my 'speed sensor circuit malfunction' error code.

If I appeared "gruff" then my frustration at seeing you repeatedly ask the same question in multiple threads and ignoring the answer you were given was shining through.
It seems you do not like the answer so you are bent on asking it over and over till you get an answer you like.
I just shook my head when I saw this question in ANOTHER new thread (this one) and decided to move on - until I see my name being called out somewhat rudely.

So it is safe to assume that the speedo pins breaking is NOT the cause of the bike running rough and then eventually not starting, and only the cause of the sensor error?
THAT is what I have been telling you from your very first post on this question

I don't know if you simply don't believe what I'm trying to tell you, or ????
You are getting the Speedo Sensor Error because the speedo is disconnected.
The Speedo Sensor Error is NOT preventing your engine from starting.
Disconnecting or removing your gauges is NOT preventing your bike from starting
Yes, your bike SHOULD run with the gauges disconnected
i.e. if it does NOT run, then it has nothing to do with gauges being connected or not.
You are clinging to that one ECU error code and attributing that to the reason it will not start.

@TURBO200R4 is trying to tell you the same - move on from the Speedo already - yes, you probably need/want to fix that at some point but it is NOT causing your engine to not run.
And you should look back to the 'preventive' maintenance that you did at the same time for the source of your problem.

If I appeared "gruff" then my frustration at seeing you repeatedly ask the same question in multiple threads and ignoring the answer you were given was shining through.
It seems you do not like the answer so you are bent on asking it over and over till you get an answer you like.
I just shook my head when I saw this question in ANOTHER new thread (this one) and decided to move on - until I see my name being called out somewhat rudely.

THAT is what I have been telling you from your very first post on this question

I don't know if you simply don't believe what I'm trying to tell you, or ????
You are getting the Speedo Sensor Error because the speedo is disconnected.
The Speedo Sensor Error is NOT preventing your engine from starting.
Disconnecting or removing your gauges is NOT preventing your bike from starting
Yes, your bike SHOULD run with the gauges disconnected
i.e. if it does NOT run, then it has nothing to do with gauges being connected or not.
You are clinging to that one ECU error code and attributing that to the reason it will not start.

@TURBO200R4 is trying to tell you the same - move on from the Speedo already - yes, you probably need/want to fix that at some point but it is NOT causing your engine to not run.
And you should look back to the 'preventive' maintenance that you did at the same time for the source of your problem.

First, let me extend my apologies if I frustrated you by repeating my questions, DeCosse. This could be for several reasons:
--I fear that I am still in the initial stages of denial as to the fact that my Rocket won't start, and that it may not be an easy fix. It's like hearing that your best friend is terminally ill and refusing to accept the facts immediately.
--I have 'new baby brain'. I work 50+ hours a week and also have a new daughter. Between the lack of sleep and the sheer decibel level in my house at all times, it is hard to concentrate on new information. Riding my Rocket was the only source of peace, relaxation and de-stressing in my life, and without that I am even more aloof.
--I have received A LOT of speculative information on what to do about diagnosing my bike's problems. It's a lot to take in and keep straight.
-- my intention for reposting a very similar thread to my first was simply to get the question answered that I had initially asked, and had yet to be answered at that point....which I had made as the thread title-- Where does the speed sensor connect?
--I am sorry that you feel that I rudely called you out. I found your reply to be gruff, obviously that was due to your frustration with me trying to get the answer to the speed sensor connection question.

So I get it. **** the speedo for now and get the bike running.

Again, thank you all for your help.

IMG_1607.PNG

Back