Can anyone help. I have a 2012 R3

Nigel T

Standard Bore
Ride
Rocket3
Yesterday I started the bike and the left hand close wasn’t working (no Rev counter, mileage clock lights etc). The bike started fine and I rode it for about 7 miles and stopped the bike. When I went to restart it it wouldn’t start. the usual sounds you get as the electronics kick in aren’t there. The right hand clock seems to be functioning ok but the left is still dead. Done the usual, checked the fuses, side stand and clutch switch but no luck. has anyone experienced this. Thanks Nigel

I am not sure if this will help you but when that happen to me I found a purple wire in the harness coroded, the purple wire provides the power from the fuse box to the speedo and tacho., see the photo below. The purple wire on the right provides the power from the fuse box and the two purple wires on the left power the speedo and tacho.

5946D298-ABE8-414D-BAD8-F1920EE3B83D.jpeg
AB7C69DF-271A-474D-A6FE-4B72F0D3A613.jpeg

Well the left hand clock is the speedo, the rev counter is the right clock. But anyway yeah sounds like the purple wire is rotted at one of the "shiit crimps" there in my layman's wiring diagram 😆

I am not sure if this will help you but when that happen to me I found a purple wire in the harness coroded, the purple wire provides the power from the fuse box to the speedo and tacho., see the photo below. The purple wire on the right provides the power from the fuse box and the two purple wires on the left power the speedo and tacho.

5946D298-ABE8-414D-BAD8-F1920EE3B83D.jpeg
Thanks for that I’m going to try and find the connector in the loom where it goes 1 into two. I would be surprised if it’s corroded. The bike has only done 7k miles and not really been out in the wet but anything’s possible. Thanks for putting me on the right path.

Motolink here is the thread where you had a similar problem - post 55 onwards - remember who helped you!

Hello Nigel and welcome for Virginia.

What year and model of bike do you have here?

Even with just 7K miles, I am not surprised you have an electrical issue. Some of our connectors are not what we want them to be as far as ruggedness goes.

Back