Can a Roadster be converted into a "Touring"?

SonOfJorEl

.040 Over
Ride
2016 Rocket 3 Roadster
Hi again, folks 👋

Since I've narrowed down my search to the R3T, i've realized that the inventory of motorcycles available (in Ontario at least) is quite low.

I do keep coming across Roadster models a lot. Check this one out...

SO, my (perhaps stupid) question is, can the Roaster be converted into a Touring? or am I breaking any unspoken laws here? 🤣

With enough money you can convert a Roadster into a jet aircraft with Triumph decals. The question isn't can it be done, it is why would you? I converted my 05 Standard into an 05 "Classic" with bars and boards, so yeah it can be done, but do you really want to detune the motor so it pulls like a Touring?

Hi again, folks 👋

Since I've narrowed down my search to the R3T, i've realized that the inventory of motorcycles available (in Ontario at least) is quite low.

I do keep coming across Roadster models a lot. Check this one out...

SO, my (perhaps stupid) question is, can the Roaster be converted into a Touring? or am I breaking any unspoken laws here? 🤣
I think so. In fact you can make a 150 HP touring .

Attachments

• IMG_20190804_113720.jpg
    IMG_20190804_113720.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Any bike can be touring bike, my CB750 worked, lol. But realistically, they're different bikes, other than the motor, there's only something like 3 or 4 parts in common, longer wheelbase, totally different bike. But add bags and a windshield, you're good to go. And the motors are identical, load a new tune and a Touring has exactly the same horsepower and torque as standard or roadster. Some even have a little bit more.😉 Right, @Kevin frazier ?

I think the real question is not turning R3R into an R3T, nope, not at all. The R3T has a different frame and the engine is tuned for more low end torque (not detuned as that darned nuclear physicist mentioned). :whitstling: Its back tire is less expensive too.
What you want to do is simply add bags and a bigger windscreen to a R3R and that will work quite well. You can even find a seat that has a rider's back rest if you want. Easy peasy.

Not sure what you’re asking here? If the question is, can I put the touring bags and boards on a roadster? The simple answer is not without a substantial amount of modification. The obvious difference between the two is the rear setup. The Roadster has the wide tire, the touring not, so quite a bit of difference in the rear setup.
But you can fit a large screen (or batwing) and aftermarket bags or panniers and boards if that is what you want.

Not only is the rear wheel a lot narrower on the R3T but the final drives are different also and not interchangeable. The fuel tank is smaller, narrower rear fender, different wiring, single headlight, seat, pillion etc etc etc....

Get the Roadster if the Touring isn't available and set it up for long distance like I did...

OK yes! This is the kind of feedback I was looking for! Thank you! So the Roadster is more powerful than the Touring ha? I was so focussed on the cosmetics I didn't even stop to read the specs. I guess I should start there ie look at the differences under the hood between the two models and make a sounder decision.

Not only is the rear wheel a lot narrower on the R3T but the final drives are different also and not interchangeable. The fuel tank is smaller, narrower rear fender, different wiring, single headlight, seat, pillion etc etc etc....

Get the Roadster if the Touring isn't available and set it up for long distance like I did...
Gregger, what did you add / modify to it to set it up for long distance?

Gregger, what did you add / modify to it to set it up for long distance?
1633167152598.jpeg

1633167194388.jpeg
1633169483545.jpeg

This is a picture of my ride before I travelled across Canada several years ago. I purchased Easy Brackets and mounted some Leatherworks bags to them. With this set up I could remove the bags quickly from the bike with the handles provided. The top bag was also set up like a suitcase. Zumo GPS, Sena 20S with an FM receiver and I was on my way for 3 weeks (spent a week with my son in Edmonton). It's a functional setup and probably isn't the most aesthetic.

This allows me to strip the bike for day rides.
IMG_2772[1].JPG
IMG_2771[1].JPG
IMG_2773[1].JPG

Back