Blackthou

Nitrous
Ride
2014 Black 'n' Red R3R. RamAir, Tors, DP Link pipe
Firstly Happy Christmas and I hope you've had a good one so far.

I'm thinking of getting a camera but not sure whether to buy one that attaches to your lid or one that attaches to the bike ie something like a Go Pro.

The helmet variety start about £35 and last for up to 2 hours. As my rides are often longer than this it takes the price up a few notches but that also brings other advantages in terms of quality.

My thoughts are that a helmet camera of any discription puerly limits its use to motorcycling whereas a Go Pro type can be used on a variety of things. Trouble with that though is the price begins to escalate as each progessively more expensive one has more features, thereby wandering from the initial objective of a cheap and handy recorder.

What have any of you fellow Rocketers done.

personally i use the bike far to regularly and at a moment's notice, so dont like the go pro's and helmet cams.

i fitted hidden front and rear blackbox cams. they're full HD, loop record (several hours, depending on video spec/quality you choose and memory card size) and record from when i switch ignition on until i switch it off. actually they record for a minute after ignition switches off (to catch any post-crash footage).
i just wanted something to record all the time and i dont have to worry about forgetting to bring or switch on a camera every time. i have a finevue CR500HD up front (needs a coat of silicon to waterproof it) and a blackvue dr400hd on the tail (ditto). i also have a USB cable from the cam to under the riders seat so when i wnt to download footage, just pop the seat and connect to laptop.

i also have blackbox cams in the cars too, i use Mobius v3 there as the cams are pretty cheap, but provide the best quality video i've seen in these mini cams. not so easy waterproof them though, their heatsink does get hot.
they also have a 2 hour battery these days

btw i have recently put a innovv C3 in the car just to test it out, with long term plan being to replace the blackvue dr400hd on the rear of the rocket with it.
the camera body is not waterproof, but happily the lens unit is, and is also happily at the end of a cable, so plan is to put the lens in the tail and the camera body under rider seat.
this camera seems to be legit

A friend of mine at the gun club bought the Go Pro and posted a few videos on it. FYI..if you do get the GP don't cheap out on the memory card get the one that lasts longer a little pricey at $70 but worth it in the long run....

Last edited:
+1 triiick on memory cards
make sure it's a class 8 or 10 + memory card you need that speed class to record full HD video. Cheaper cards may have 32gb or 64gb but are a low speed class e.g. 4 which won't work right with any decent camera

Get a quality camera and the 35pound camera is not quality, I have three go- pros and they are excellent just buy extra batteries and buy a good SD card look at the read rate not just if it is a 6-8-10 class as the manufacturers put these numbers on them

I bought a Polaroid XS100 camera. These cameras are not in the same class as a GoPro but they only cost around $100. It does 1080P recordings and includes several mounts including a handlebar mount. The camera is also water proof. One thing they are doing to keep the price down is you don't have a screen....To playback your video you need a computer. The device records on MicroSD memory cards. For the money I am very happy with it as I just wanted something to play around with and not have $500 invested in it.

Last edited:
Whatever camera you choose, see what it's limit is for memory card volume before you buy the card

Back