Camera Experts - Step forward.

barbagris

Mad Scientist
Ride
1979 Guzzi V1000G5 - 2018 KTM 790 Duke
I am in the market for a new camera. Because my current one simply will not maintain charge in batteries. It's old. These days I don#t do much but I do like to document things well. Before the DIGITAL REVOLUTION I had some really top grade Canon gear ( I did almost become a pro photographer in the mid '80's) - But lost it all when our house was burgled.

I have no interest in getting back into hauling bags (wearing vests) full of bodies/lenses about again. So no DSLR/EVIL. Been sort of browsing and I would get a "BRIDGE" camera I think. For some reason PANASONIC seems to attract my eye. But I am so out of touch I have no idea what are good and bad.

Must do good MACRO - A huge amount of what I do is close-up.
Would prefer fast f-stops as it allows background isolation.
Only will ever take photos for display on screens - so I don't need a zillion pixels.
Anti-Shake would be a plus for the days the Mrs uses it.
No budget set so far. But not prepared to spend a lot.
I will shoot almost exclusively via the viewfinder so snazzy rear screens are not really much use.
I never shoot VIDEO so that's not a deciding factor.

Any RELEVANT input appreciated. ;)

A lot of the latest smart phones have some good quality cameras built in. Not only pics but videos as well and built in programs to adjust and modify the images. You might find that's all you need. Saves carrying 2 items. I have the LG V20, dual camera, one is widescreen and does UHD video. Great in all lighting. Easy removable battery and you can put in up to a massive 2 TB storage. You might be surprised at what you can do.

A lot of the latest smart phones have some good quality cameras built in. You might be surprised at what you can do.
I have a company Smart-Phone which has all sorts of gubbins in - But apart from HATING MOBILE PHONES of any sort, I need my reading glasses on to see at less than about 3 foot ( a metre). This negates it being practical to use a screen. It has a plus side - when my wife wants to show me some rubbish on her phone - I can conveniently lose my glasses. :whitstling:

The OLD Fuji 4900Z camera I have - has a digital viewfinder which I can see without reading glasses. It's an important part of the selection criteria.

Recently bought my eldest daughter on of these and it is a fantastic camera
Panasonic Lumix GF8 + 12-32mm

I had a Panasonic Lumix as well. Gave it to my brother. Was great for macro. Had a great pic of a Huntsman spider with its 8 eyes. Was so hoping it didn't jump my way when I was so close to it.

I had a Panasonic Lumix as well. Gave it to my brother. Was great for macro. Had a great pic of a Huntsman spider with its 8 eyes. Was so hoping it didn't jump my way when I was so close to it.
I used to use the Panasonic TZ30 for work and yes a great picture but not robust enough for me

Wuss! ;):D

On a different scale I love the 1000's of different species of 1-10mm Peacock jumping spiders where the males signal with their front palps that look like legs. They wave and signal. I had one in front of me once and wagged my fingers alongside my face and he jumped right onto my nose it was awesome! The only time I get a bit thrown is when I find a huntsmen staring at me inside my helmet while riding which happened a couple of years ago on the way to work. Unfortunately when I got to work and took my helmet off he/she jumped onto the tank and down to the engine so possibly got cooked before they could jump off to the ground.

Huntsman - trust me they are harmless!
upload_2017-5-21_21-29-41.png

upload_2017-5-21_21-31-16.png

upload_2017-5-21_21-32-31.png

I did professional photography for some years as a younger man - mostly catalog stuff. For the past several years I've been using a Lumix FZ-200. It has Leica glass with a constant f:2.8 lens and a 24-600 zoom ratio (35mm equivalent). I've found it to be very good in low/marginal light situations. It does have video capability - but you're going to find that in virtually every camera you look at, so whether you use it or not will be up to you. Very usable articulating screen - especially for shooting above crowds or for low angle shots (like motorcycles at a show). It has every feature you may need for top quality photos.

Here's a link to the more recent version of my ZX-200, the ZX-300:
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Digital Camera DMC-FZ300 B&H Photo

Good luck with your search. Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Good luck with your search. Feel free to ask any questions you may have.
That's very helpful. Thanks. :thumbsup:
I was already leaning towards Panasonic as a safe bet from the review sites too - so that's a good start. :)

So now torn between DC-FZ82, DMC-FZ300 and the DMC-FZ1000 - I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on the Pro's / Con's. Though fixed F2.8 is tough to beat. Wondering whether to sacrifice the EXTREME zoom for better sensor. :unsure:

Back