Cam Tensioner question

Jeremy

.060 Over
Ride
2009 Triumph Rocket 3 Touring
I am literally sick to my stomach right now. All have been helpful on here. As I have been trying to work out the tensioning of the cam chain, I ordered a slug to put in the tensioner instead of making one as @warp9.9 suggested with a bolt.

Pulled the center nut, put the slug in, and the spring, then the center nut would not go back in. It went, JUST before the threads and then no more. the spring was completely compressed. In a haste, I was trying to figure it out. I was unable to get the slug back out so I had to remove the (2) 8mm bolts for the tensioner and took it out. after the tensioner was out I was able to get the slug out and to my surprise, TWO slugs came out. the previous owner must have already put one in at some point and I did not know that.

Now here we go. What is a guy to do now? Can I set the tensioner back in, then put the one slug in there and the center nut and all will be fine? do I need to pull the inspection plug and make sure that the center marks are in alighnment and I am good? Or do I need to pull this all apart and take of the cam cover and go from there?

regardless if I am able to make sure that the cam is dead center and I can get the tensioner in, then what do I need to do in order to keep the tension where it needs to be. I understand this is the least of my worries right now. I need to get the tensioner back in and make sure all the valves and everything are good first. then tackle what I will do to tension the chain.

2009 R3T around 43,000 miles on it. Since all this has been done, the bike has not moved or been turned over.

As some of you have read in previous posts, my wife was pissed that i came home with this bike and it could be divorce worthy if I need to dump money into this bike. In advance, all your help is appreciated.

Jeremy

Jeremy,

I would hope you have the fortitude to make lemonade when life has handed you some lemons. Since you're married, I know you know this.

If the motor has not turned over, this is all a learning exercise without much money -- just your time -- and most lady spouses understand the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.

And as toys go, the Rocket is one of the best -- about half the cost of other fancy cruisers in its class (tell her that), far better value, and fairly easy to work on.

FWIW, I will be changing the cams on my bike in short order, with your concerns a large subset of my concerns.

I urge you -- please do not be sick -- please change your outlook -- you will get through this and will be smarter and more confident in yourself and the bike going forward.

Yes, please keep asking your questions -- we all learn from the process, and this group is one of the best places to do it, if you allow a good helping of patience.

Don't fret.

Cheer up.

Jeremy,

I would hope you have the fortitude to make lemonade when life has handed you some lemons. Since you're married, I know you know this.

If the motor has not turned over, this is all a learning exercise without much money -- just your time -- and most lady spouses understand the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.

And as toys go, the Rocket is one of the best -- about half the cost of other fancy cruisers in its class (tell her that), far better value, and fairly easy to work on.

FWIW, I will be changing the cams on my bike in short order, with your concerns a large subset of my concerns.

I urge you -- please do not be sick -- please change your outlook -- you will get through this and will be smarter and more confident in yourself and the bike going forward.

Yes, please keep asking your questions -- we all learn from the process, and this group is one of the best places to do it, if you allow a good helping of patience.

Don't fret.

Cheer up.

Paul, I appreciate your words. We have a large bike weekend coming up soon and it is hard to not be sick. I have a bathroom that I am in the process of remodeling and just finished replacing the roof last weekend due to a hail storm. I have to be out of town for the next couple weekends, then it is the bike weekend. I need the knowledge of what needs to be done and any guidance, pictures and videos that are out there. I wish any of you were from where i am and could help me out.

Jeremy

The other truth about the Universe intrudes: Timing is everything.

If I were your wife, I think I would be happy that the roof won't leak, and the bathroom I use three times a day is being fixed, and I'll bet, bike weekend will happen again.

Heck, we have bike weekends around here every weekend somewhere, and all year 'round, amazingly enough.

The Rocket is as a fine wine, and will take its time when done right.

Zen is called for here - roll with it.

Appreciate the links. I read them and it gave some insight to me. Learning is always a good thing. I just need to see what i need to do to get this thing up and going. I would rather not need to pull the top cover and everything else that goes along with it if I do not have to. any chance i can get lucky on this and check the inspection plug to see that everything is at top dead center and put the tensioner in?

any chance i can get lucky on this and check the inspection plug to see that everything is at top dead center and put the tensioner in?

Afraid your luck still sucks.. you can't see cam timing from the inspection port at the crankshaft nose, only if the front cylinder is at TDC.

Whatever you do, DON'T try to start or even manually turn over the engine :roll:

You're going to have to take off the cam cover and set your cams again, and install the tensioner dude.
Section 3 of the manual.

Re the tensioner - I haven't read the history of how you got to this point, but if there is already a spacer in there then maybe
(a) all was actually fine before now and something else is what's causing the symptoms that drove you to this act
(b) your cam chain is badly stretched/tensioning chain guide and/or tensioner plunger face is worn.

Maybe a spacer made from a bolt as suggested by @warp9.9, which is longer than the 1 spacer but shorter than 2 spacers together is in order.
Again I haven't read your issue history but warp9.9 will not steer you wrong.

You can rule out (b) when you have the cam cover off anyway (check chain length and guide condition).

This is a shame, I've been in situations like this myself thinking you are fixing something and making it worse. The audio clip at the beginning sounded no different to mine, like I've said before it's not a pleasant sounding motor, especially with the quiet stock exhaust, you hear everything - it seems to quieten down a bit as it warms up. Unfortunately with not knowing if the timing got moved you have to play it safe, and check it - what a pain in the ass for ya

This is a shame, I've been in situations like this myself thinking you are fixing something and making it worse. The audio clip at the beginning sounded no different to mine, like I've said before it's not a pleasant sounding motor, especially with the quiet stock exhaust, you hear everything - it seems to quieten down a bit as it warms up. Unfortunately with not knowing if the timing got moved you have to play it safe, and check it - what a pain in the ass for ya

Well...........a bit of better news to make myself feel better. I called the Stealership and they told me that they will send a truck to pick the bike up and they will take it to their shop on Monday. I told them that the timing seems off and the tensioner is out of tolerance. The are going to get this back in time and make sure that the tensioner is within spec. Is there anything else that I should make sure they check on it while they are in there? Sounds as if they are going to fix this under warranty since I just purchased the bike from them.

Only question I have is, will I get questioned about the tune that I put on the bike? or just play dumb if they ask?

That is a great question. I'll say that 99% of folks will NOT care. 1% might if they are disreputable and should go out of business anyway.

The hard part here, is, I'm not familiar with your dealer and if they're in the 99% or the 1%.

Perhaps you would be explicit about who it is, and someone might comment.

Back