Cam cover gasket replacement time

GaryA

Supercharged
Ride
2010 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster
Noticed a slight leak at the rear right of the cover and the gasket seems distorted and broken allowing a leak.
Have smeared some gasket repair in to keep riding and just ordered the new gasket.

Is there any tips or tricks for this job?

Watching the fuel tank removal thread as this is what I will be doing as a start!

I believe Triumph recommends putting some sealant in the u-channels at the end of the cams. I would use Loctite black RTV. I've used other brands of RTV and found some of them stay greasy and actually help the gasket slide out of place. Clean the rest of the gasket surfaces with solvent to make sure they are free of oil. Don't put anything on the gasket.

So only the sealant in the grooves where the semi circle things live, but none on the gasket or surfaces at all?
I think I would have very lightly smeared the whole thing.

So only the sealant in the grooves where the little semi circle things live?

I think I would have smeared some over the whole gasket!

If the new gasket won’t keep the right shape I have heard it mentioned that a few tiny spots of super glue can be used while refitting, never tried this myself

If the new gasket won’t keep the right shape I have heard it mentioned that a few tiny spots of super glue can be used while refitting, never tried this myself
Thats how i did it thanks to recommendation from Lushy , always re check tension on all bolts after a couple thousand klm

Do a search for cam cover gasket replacement, quite a few of us (including me) have some very good write ups and picture about it, the older rockets never had a problem with the gasket but the newer ones 2010onwards it is quite a common problem, but then again Triumph used better quality materials on the early Rockets.:D

Back