Cam chain replacement

daytonageo

.060 Over
Ride
2005 Triumph Rocket
I was going into do the 20k valve checks and before I started, I checked the cct depth, and it came out 24mm. I think that means a can chain replacement. Looking to do this once and right. Any helpful tips on this? Going to do the valve clearance along with this. Send in tips if ya got em!

I'd love to give you some tips, but I haven't done mine yet. I'm in the same boat as you, and have all the parts waiting to be installed. I'm just waiting for the temperatures to go up so I don't freeze working on it ;) I would recommend replacing the cam chain guides too, since you're in there.

I changed the cam chain on my 07 at 50k, my guides were still perfect, the
hardest part for me was holding the cams in place while installing the new chain.
There are hex spots on the cams that you can hold with wrenches (you may have
to modify some to fit ) while you install the new chain, line the timing marks before
you take the old one apart, make sure you know what they look like, takes two
people, kind of a struggle but do'able.

I just completed this on my 2005 at 60K miles so here are my tips.
For valve clearances keep in mind that the intake side will need smaller shims while the exhaust side will need larger shims. It gets confusing when you calculate what shims you need for one side and then switch to calculating what shims you need for the other side. At 60K I got lucky and was able to move a lot of shims between the sides instead of buying new.
As for putting the new chain on, my guides were fine but definitely check them out as your results may vary. Align the crankshaft to TDC first and then I found it easier to align the intake cam first and hold it in place with a wrench resting against the frame and then setting the exhaust side alignment. You don't really need the tool to hold the cams or see the alignment as if you are off a tooth on the cams or crank you will see it. Once the cams are aligned, put your finger in the adjusting hole and tighten up the chain and turn the crank shaft a little counterclockwise to set the chain into the crank gear and then back clockwise while pushing the chain adjustment with your finger. The hard part is installing the adjuster without jumping a tooth on the crank gear or losing the cam alignment.

Just my two cents, hope this helps.

I have over 60,000 miles on a 2015 Rocket X. Have removed cams for shim replacement and the last time replaced cams with a set of performance cams along with a new cam chain. Would not even think about doing the job without the special cam holder tool. Can it be done without the tool? Sure but what a pain. I have the tool but it is on loan. Contact Mad dog and have him send you my tool. When job is done just PM me and you can send it back to me. Right tools for the job very important. Less headaches.

Thanks for replies, and thanks for the offer Sonny. I may take you up on it when I start in. Does the oil need to be drained completely for this job?

I remember with a Kawi 1600 I had years ago, they sold a metal shim to add to the end of the tensioner to add more life to the chain (I guess they decided that even with the stretch it wasn't near failure). There isn't such a thing for the rocket?
Dean

Thanks for replies, and thanks for the offer Sonny. I may take you up on it when I start in. Does the oil need to be drained completely for this job?
JoeSmoe one of our moderators has mine in Northern Va./DC area he can send it also if you want. Do you have the chain out already? Have you measured the drop on the auto tensioner plunger to see if it past 16mm? even after you change chain and shims the tensioner drop should be measured in case you need to adjust the spring pressure to increase, Guides may look good but they wear pretty evenly so a wore one sometimes looks good. And well yours being a early model might not have the newest style updated guide on the tensioner side.

Back