Cam chain replacement

ratsidecar

.060 Over
Ride
2006 Rocket III
Hi have a 2006 rocket 3 with around 22000 miles on it and thought I would inspect the cam chain tensioner as recently I could hear a little light ticking while the engine was running. I removed the centre bolt on the tensioner and noted the spring free length was 70mm and the drop in the tensioner was 25mm so almost on its limit. There was no spacer fitted as there should have been when the drop measures over 16mm

Looks like its time for a new cam chain. The rritating thing is that the bike was in the dealership 6 months ago with the engine out getting the TDSU bearings replaced as one had failed and having the detent spring and second gear assembly replaced with later updated parts. I had told them to go over the engine with a fine tooth comb while it was apart and if anything looked doubtful or worn to contact me and let me know so I could decide what to do. Guess they missed the tensioner being at nearly full extension.

Conveniently, I am currently waiting on the new engine cover and clutch parts coming from TTS as the clutch plates are due for replacement and I figured I could fit some of the parts from their supercharger kit while I have the front cover off to do the clutch.

So I ordered a new cam chain tensioner spring and next I need to order a replacement cam chain so I can do the work myself. I see that triumph sell a kit with a new cam chain and cam sprockets in it however I dont know if this includes the bottom sprocket too. Are there any other parts worth replacing while I am in there as I am unsure if my bike will have had the updated lower cam sprocket and cam guides in it.

I have heard that to replace the cam guides one must remove the head, is this true? Or will they even need replaced? I actually have a new set of APE adjustable cam sprockets that I got some time ago as they were a good price and I figured they may come in handy some time in the future so I could install those with the new chain providing that they arent too much of a nightmare to dial in and set timed at the stock position. I do own a degree wheel from when I used to mess around with 2 stroke tuning a few years back. I haven't had a look at the workshop manual yet so will any special tools be needed in the process and how much of a nightmare is it setting up the adjustable sprockets? Would I be better just putting a set of stanard ones on?

Thanks for your advice.

Hi have a 2006 rocket 3 with around 22000 miles on it and thought I would inspect the cam chain tensioner as recently I could hear a little light ticking while the engine was running. I removed the centre bolt on the tensioner and noted the spring free length was 70mm and the drop in the tensioner was 25mm so almost on its limit. There was no spacer fitted as there should have been when the drop measures over 16mm

Looks like its time for a new cam chain. The rritating thing is that the bike was in the dealership 6 months ago with the engine out getting the TDSU bearings replaced as one had failed and having the detent spring and second gear assembly replaced with later updated parts. I had told them to go over the engine with a fine tooth comb while it was apart and if anything looked doubtful or worn to contact me and let me know so I could decide what to do. Guess they missed the tensioner being at nearly full extension.

Conveniently, I am currently waiting on the new engine cover and clutch parts coming from TTS as the clutch plates are due for replacement and I figured I could fit some of the parts from their supercharger kit while I have the front cover off to do the clutch.

So I ordered a new cam chain tensioner spring and next I need to order a replacement cam chain so I can do the work myself. I see that triumph sell a kit with a new cam chain and cam sprockets in it however I dont know if this includes the bottom sprocket too. Are there any other parts worth replacing while I am in there as I am unsure if my bike will have had the updated lower cam sprocket and cam guides in it.

I have heard that to replace the cam guides one must remove the head, is this true? Or will they even need replaced? I actually have a new set of APE adjustable cam sprockets that I got some time ago as they were a good price and I figured they may come in handy some time in the future so I could install those with the new chain providing that they arent too much of a nightmare to dial in and set timed at the stock position. I do own a degree wheel from when I used to mess around with 2 stroke tuning a few years back. I haven't had a look at the workshop manual yet so will any special tools be needed in the process and how much of a nightmare is it setting up the adjustable sprockets? Would I be better just putting a set of stanard ones on?

Thanks for your advice.

hey neighbour i would say update the clutch pullrod/lifter piece when in there but i assume the TTS front cover you're getting is the hydraulic clutch version? if so this kit will replace the weak little lifter piece in the 06 engine.

when you have the chain out, you can measure its length as per the manual to see how much it's stretched by. there may be other reasons why your current tensioner is maxed out, might be something to do with the old tensioning guide your engine has.

you should update the tensioner guide also to the newest version. in fact i'd recommend upgrading the tensioner too to something like @warp9.9 modified OEM tensioner or @Neville Lush tensioner has got good reviews.

you can replace both camchain guides without removing the head iirc, just the cam cover & front engine cover which you'll have off anyway.

re cams, i don't really see much point in the hardship of dialling in the stock cams to stock timing when you can just set them with the OEM sprockets and their timing marks.

hope that helps

thumbnail_COHEN R3 16FEB2018.jpg
Yup its the hydraulic clutch conversion. I held off getting the lifter piece etc changed when the engine was last out of the bike as I figured it would be getting replaced again with the TTS part anyway. I have attached a photo of the parts they said they will be sending me. I won't actually be drilling the crank at this stage, when I have the money for everything else the bike will be getting sent over to TTS to have them fit the rest of the kit and dyno and set everything up.

Thats good that I can have a fiddle and replace the guides without needing to lift the head to do so. Do you know what year they changed over to the revised ones?

My query regarding cam sprockets was because I figure that if the chain is worn the sprockets will also be worn and it would be prudent to replace them while everything is apart. And I alreay have the APE sprockets. Then again 22k is very low mileage for an engine to be needing things like that replaced. I have a little experience with 4 stroke top end work as I had to replace a head on my suzuki TL1000R a year or two back. I just took my time, had the workshop manual beside me and took some notes and drew myself some diagrams while I was taking things apart and it all went well so I am happy to do the work myself.

So shopping list so far is looking like cam chain and both cam guides and inspect anything else for wear while I have things opened up?

Hi. Be careful as the early ape sprockets were incorrect. They didn't fit the chain properly. Most times premature chain wear on a stock engine is due to sub standard oil/oil changes.

Is there any way to identify whether the ape sprockets are early or later ones? The part number on the packaging is ACST2300. They were ordered last year from a UK seller who didnt have any in stock but was able to get a set from APE in his next order for me.

The service book with the bike shows annual oil changes carried out at a local honda dealer for the last 7 or so years. prevours owner confirmed that he got the oil changed annually although he only covered around 1000 miles a year. I have put 5k on the bike since I got it this time last year with an oil change and the 20k service carried out a little early. Although I did have that TDSU bearing failure right at 20k miles about 100 miles after it was serviced. The reason I got it serviced a little early was because I could hear some unusual noises and wanted them to thoroughly check it out where they assured me there was nothing wrong with it.

See if the sprockets fit with the chain..... the chain should go right down onto the teeth like the stocker. What sort of oil do you use?

It was a triumph main dealer who did the oil last time so I don't actually know but would think it was something decent. However I probably won't be using them again, too many oversights made and they didn't do what I asked them to. I think they must assume that if you bring your bike to them then you mustn't have any mechanical knowledge.

I brought it to them purely to keep the service history up to date and for a second opinion on the TDSU bearing noise. I had to get them to take the engine out to repair it as I dont have the strength or any lifting equipment to do it myself and prefer to work alone :)

Back