cam chain replacement

ken

.020 Over
Ride
rocket 3 classic 2008
Hi guys I have a 07 classic and during the winter shutdown I am planning on a major engine service
after 40,000 trouble free miles. My question is I have herd that the cam chain should be replaced after 30,000 miles is this true, it seems a bit soon to me.

The early Rockets had a different cam chain that was prone to stretching. I,m not sure what year it was revised but I know my 05 had only 30,000K when it needed replacement. It is worth checking.

I would only change it if a couple things did not fair out. First check the drop in the chain tensioner if it not below 16 mm then that bugger has hardly stretched at all. If this was true and you do not need any valve shim adjustment I would leave her alone. If you have to release the chain to shim her then I would change it and the cam chain guide on the tensioner side if you do not have the updated guide. I have seen guys go over 70,000 with no problems with the chain.. I have 60,000 on mine and its fine.

I would only change it if a couple things did not fair out. First check the drop in the chain tensioner if it not below 16 mm then that bugger has hardly stretched at all. If this was true and you do not need any valve shim adjustment I would leave her alone. If you have to release the chain to shim her then I would change it and the cam chain guide on the tensioner side if you do not have the updated guide. I have seen guys go over 70,000 with no problems with the chain.. I have 60,000 on mine and its fine.

Thanks for the reply I have just measured it at 19mm will a spacer do or do you recommend a new chain, I did replace the tensioner spring a month or so ago.

Thanks for the reply I have just measured it at 19mm will a spacer do or do you recommend a new chain, I did replace the tensioner spring a month or so ago.
there is a total of 26.54mm drop so your not bad but definitely past the 16mm drop where Triumph says to put the spacer in. this just returns spring pressure/tension back to new. You can make the spacer out of a 10mm bolt shank no need to spend the $$$$ on the Triumph bolt shank :)

there is a total of 26.54mm drop so your not bad but definitely past the 16mm drop where Triumph says to put the spacer in. this just returns spring pressure/tension back to new. You can make the spacer out of a 10mm bolt shank no need to spend the $$$$ on the Triumph bolt shank :)

Great news thank you

Do you reckon 3mm thick

actually its 9.017mm so I would go with 8 to 9mm

I made mine on my milling machine so it was easier to be precise.

Hi ya @warp9.9 ! When I time my cams they are in the retarded position due to chain stretch. If I jump a tooth, it puts me to the advanced side of the mark, but by only about half the distance. When I helped @rahoffman2 do his, we had the same issue. If it were you, would you leave it retarded (as I did) or move it to the advanced side ? What effect does advancing cams do for performance ?

Last edited:
Without a degree wheel you cannot be precise, and any advance due to jumping time, is going to be haphazard....some people might think it runs fine, others are gonna find it's crap.....and they will all be right.

Without a degree wheel you cannot be precise, and any advance due to jumping time, is going to be haphazard....some people might think it runs fine, others are gonna find it's crap.....and they will all be right.

The timing is already haphazard, I can only jump teeth. My question was, would it be better to a little advanced or a lot retarded. A degree wheel wouldn't help in my situation as I only have the two choices listed above.

Back