cam chain rattle

allan green

.020 Over
Ride
2006 rocket
i have a 2006 rocket owned from new with 37000 miles it developed a rattle so i took the bike to the triumph dealer they diagnosed cam chain wear so replaced all the the relevant parts but the rattle was still there but then cleared up i went away on the bike for my holidays all was well then the same rattle reappeared i took the bike back to the dealer now they are saying its piston slap and not much can be done about it any suggestions would be appreciated

i have a 2006 rocket owned from new with 37000 miles it developed a rattle so i took the bike to the triumph dealer they diagnosed cam chain wear so replaced all the the relevant parts but the rattle was still there but then cleared up i went away on the bike for my holidays all was well then the same rattle reappeared i took the bike back to the dealer now they are saying its piston slap and not much can be done about it any suggestions would be appreciated
I dont think id buy,Piston slap,i replaced the cam chain guide,measured the chain (in spec)as a matter of routine maintenance.the rattle was there even though it wasnt before i touched it.I now have a new chain ready to fit.The adjuster is at full stretch and i have the spacer in the tensioner.My opinion is the chain even though measured is stretched and you can put too much chain to the tension side which the tensioner cannot handle.

I dont think id buy,Piston slap,i replaced the cam chain guide,measured the chain (in spec)as a matter of routine maintenance.the rattle was there even though it wasnt before i touched it.I now have a new chain ready to fit.The adjuster is at full stretch and i have the spacer in the tensioner.My opinion is the chain even though measured is stretched and you can put too much chain to the tension side which the tensioner cannot handle.

all the cam chain and sprockets and tensioner and related parts were supposedly changed in what is termed the upgrade kit surely this should have cured the problem or am i missing something

all the cam chain and sprockets and tensioner and related parts were supposedly changed in what is termed the upgrade kit surely this should have cured the problem or am i missing something
Have you checked the tensioner plunger to see how far in it is.16mm and it requires a spacer.

Have you checked the tensioner plunger to see how far in it is.16mm and it requires a spacer.
i took the bike back to the dealers surely they would know to do that if needed

ok just how do you measure this i havnt had cause up to now to do this cheers
remove the bolt in the centre of the tensioner body (careful its spring loaded) DO NOT TURN MOTOR AFTER THIS.remove spring and measure from the body where the washer seats to the shoulder inside the tensioner body.

If they put new guide and chain in it it the drop is probably good but easy to check with a set of calipers. Like stated do not rotate the engine while the centre nut is out. But before you pull it put the bike in 2nd gear and rock the bike back and forward so the engine bumps both ways this will allow the tensioner to adjust before your take measurements.
A caliper it the way to go

tensioner  measurement.jpg

make sure you measure to the shoulder edge not down inside where the spring goes. 16 mm or more require a spacer which can be mad out of a 10 mm or 3/8 bolt shank .355" long. it fits in the spring hole and increases the tension on the spring.

Oh and it would not surprise me if your hearing the lifter piece rattle as the 06 had the older style with a smaller hear its not bad it just rattles a little more then the newer big headed style see the comparison below.

2009_1031lifterpieces0010.JPG

Back