Calling all Carpenter Captain's

kcc11

Supercharged
Ride
2005 Rocket III Std & 2012 R3R with 240 Carp. kit
I just purchased MarvinM's Carpenter Rocket. It is a 2012 with 4100 miles on her now. I have only been able to put a few hundred miles on it so far. Need to replace both tires and change the oil. Also need a list of accessories to match my well used 2005 ( which I am keeping ). I have some questions about what to do and use on her.
1) First is which oil to use, I use Amsoil 20W50 in the 05. Was told to use 15W40 Amsoil?
2) Was it tuned with Tuneboy and can I get the key for it. It has the PC V under the seat.
3) Having trouble going back into 1st. at times. I think the oil change will help with that.
4) The exhaust is blued all the way pass the collector. Then it is yellowish pass the O2 sensor. Till I can test it is this normal for these motors. We have a new Dyno and five gas at the shop, but for cars. Trying to figure out how to strap it down and not kill myself or total f#&k something up.
5) Best heat shields and baffles to kill some of the low speed noise. Do not have the heart to start it at 6:30 am to go to work, the 05' with D&D's was bad enough.
6) I'm sure I will have had time goes by.

Thank you for all your input and expertise with my new ride. I bought the '05 almost ten years ago and can not think of a better ride to add to it then this one. ( The wife said hell no to a Goldwing. No way was she riding on the back of a old man's bike).

1) Bob recommends the 15-40 Diesel & Marine. Say's since it's made for off road they can add more of the protective chemicals than is allowed in rode use oil.

2) Yes & Yes. Call the shop, and have Eric send you the key.

4) Yes, mine turned that color with just the pipe even before the motor work. Good news is, it's stainless so you can buff it out.

5) Carpenter just started selling a baffle for the pipes. Generic heat shields 10.5 inches long with a curve fit well. Sorry I don't have pictures.

1) Bob recommends the 15-40 Diesel & Marine. Say's since it's made for off road they can add more of the protective chemicals than is allowed in rode use oil.

2) Yes & Yes. Call the shop, and have Eric send you the key.

4) Yes, mine turned that color with just the pipe even before the motor work. Good news is, it's stainless so you can buff it out.

5) Carpenter just started selling a baffle for the pipes. Generic heat shields 10.5 inches long with a curve fit well. Sorry I don't have pictures.
What, diesel and marine oil? I thought with our wet clutch sharing oil with the engine, we should only use oil specific to motorcycles.

ieatal, that is what I was thinking too. But you will learn that a lot riders have been using diesel oil with no problems. Rotalla T seems to be the most popular choice. I'll use whatever Bob says to use.

ieatal, that is what I was thinking too. But you will learn that a lot riders have been using diesel oil with no problems. Rotalla T seems to be the most popular choice. I'll use whatever Bob says to use.
Rotella is only good for starting burn piles!!!!!

Rotella is only good for starting burn piles!!!!!
No argument here. I have read here and there on other sites that it is used. Been using Amsoil in my bikes for the last twelve years. No problems. But Carpenters said to use 15W40 I just thought that it would be a motorcycle oil. ( Not sure who I spoke to ) Will call in the next day or two to get Tuneboy key and verify.

Was recommended Amsoil by the man himself. There is nothing better available in the US, full stop.

Tuning, just tune the PC-V if you need to, the Tuneboy map you won’t be able to touch, Tuneboy doesn’t allow you to read the tune off the ECU.

Last edited:
Back