California EVAP canister removal

wildman

.020 Over
Does anyone know if removeing the evaporative emissions control system from the left side of the bike would improve or hinder performance. It would be nice to have the extra space to attach things.

If memory serves that cannister is to collect fuel vapor. Only in California do they think of this stuff. Note everyone else can (and does) live without it.:eek:

Just make sure the vent hose that went into the canister from the gas tank is extended to the bottom of the bike. It will spit fuel out that hose when the fuel in the tank heats up, for example when letting the bike sit in the sun after pulling out of garage. It won't have any effect on performance.

The charcoal/evap canister just collects overflow fuel from the rim of the tank filler - instead of letting it drain on the ground.

If you take it off, extend the drain line under the bike, and cap off the hoses to the throttle bores.

I hope this helps.

I've often wondered about these cannistors, does it mean if you lay the bike down, the cannistor fills with gas? Does the cannistor then have to be replaced?

Thanks

I've often wondered about these cannistors, does it mean if you lay the bike down, the cannistor fills with gas? Does the cannistor then have to be replaced?

Thanks

No. The cannister only collects the vapor from the fuel tank to prevent venting to atmosphere (the pop can phffft release when you open the tank cap to fill).
An evaporative canister is part of the evaporative system that is part of the emission system. Hydrocarbons are a form of pollution that gasoline releases as it evaporates or after is is burned. Fuel stored inside the tank releases fumes that build up and are vented to and retained inside this canister. The canister contains charcoal that absorbs the hydrocarbons. On most systems when the engine is started a valve opens that allows fresh air to come in and purge the fumes (hydrocarbons) into the air intake and then into the combustion chamber for burning. Therefore the cannister remains dry. If your tank pressurizes outside of California the best way to lower the pressure is RIDE THE BIKE. If you are in California this cannister is mounted to confuse and frustrate you, for which the best solution is RIDE THE BIKE. Engine performance is not changed with or without the cannister (it's basically just dead weight you haul around).

Does that clear it up?:D

I read an old post that said after you remove the evap cannister you need a ventilated gas cap. Any truth, or are the lines coming from the tank sufficient enough?

I read an old post that said after you remove the evap cannister you need a ventilated gas cap. Any truth, or are the lines coming from the tank sufficient enough?

I took mine out to install electronic cruise control and its no big deal. The vent hose from the tank runs down to a plastic valve right next to the canister which is there to keep the gas in the tank if the bike falls over. I just cut a piece of the left over hose that fits the bottom side of that valve and ran it down in front of the back tire where the other hoses are and left the open so the tank will vent. Next fallow the hose that leads up to the throttle bodies and cut it off and plug it. I put a small bolt that just fit the inside of the hose and put a clamp on it. remove all the rest and you ate good to go.
Trapper

Back