California Cold Snap....

dawb

.060 Over
Ride
2015 R3T
So we got down to 45 degrees (!!??)last night and naturally my R3T didnt want to start. Bright lights, battery test at 12.5, but only got whirring pre-start and a single occasional click.

Just rolled 50k miles on odometer, visions of starter issues, buttons, relays, etc......instead bought and installed new battery. Done and done, starts and runs fine. If you've got a 2013 bike, get your new battery!

Wouldn't ya know . . .
Halloween, time to do Ghost Rider at our big extravaganza and the damm battery is DOA! Also only one day before leaving for Texas!:eek: :p
Oh well oneore thing to do manana . . .

Wouldn't ya know . . .
Halloween, time to do Ghost Rider at our big extravaganza and the damm battery is DOA! Also only one day before leaving for Texas!:eek: :p
Oh well oneore thing to do manana . . .
It's why I now carry a booster on trips. My battery died last year whilst on the ferrry to the UK - Worked here - died in the UK docks.

4 years and 1 month original battery with a tender on it whenever I'm not riding. Closer to 5 years sat at dealer for 7 months on a tender before I bought her.

My Rocket has never started at 40f (5C) or below. If I boost it, it will start. It's not really a mechanical failure problem, its a design problem. My wife's last car had a 2.2L engine and the battery out of my Rocket wouldn't start it either. The starting system is not designed to start that bike in cold temperatures with heavy oil oil in it. I can hook up a car battery to my Rocket and it will turn over without issue. The starting system is designed for warmer weather when most will typically ride. If you want your bike to start every time in near freezing temperatures, double the battery size, increase the battery cable size, add another relay and double the ground. If not just carry a small booster pack to aid your current setup.

My Rocket has never started at 40f (5C) or below. If I boost it, it will start. It's not really a mechanical failure problem, its a design problem. My wife's last car had a 2.2L engine and the battery out of my Rocket wouldn't start it either. The starting system is not designed to start that bike in cold temperatures with heavy oil oil in it. I can hook up a car battery to my Rocket and it will turn over without issue. The starting system is designed for warmer weather when most will typically ride. If you want your bike to start every time in near freezing temperatures, double the battery size, increase the battery cable size, add another relay and double the ground. If not just carry a small booster pack to aid your current setup.
Just back from a run thru the Sierras and bike sat out overnight in Bridgeport where at 730 am was 23f, started right up. Ive started it numerous times during winter here in Fresno with temps in mid 30's. Running recommended Castrol.

Back