Cable Routing on Classic & Fuel tank removal

Navigator

Living Legend
Ride
2009 Rocket Touring
I recently acquired Regulator's standard R3 bars and am going to install them on my 07 R3 Classic with Rivco risers. My present setup is classic bars with the auxiliary fuel gauge/clock and mounted with Rivco risers. I had the dealership in Pensacola install the Rivcos which necessitated rerouting the cables behind the triple tree. The owner asked me at the time if I wanted him to cut the cable routing stays in the front and thankfully I said to leave them.

It appears that the cables will have to be rerouted back in front of the top clamp/triple tree because the cable "reach" with the standards and Rivcos is probably close to the classic bars without the Rivcos. I don't recall how they originally routed though. It appears that the throttle and clutch cables should go forward of the top clamp but that the electrical cabling from each control housing plus the front brake cable should stay routed to the rear.

Question: Are the clutch and throttle cables the only ones routed in front of the forks?

It appears I'll have to remove the fuel tank for the first time to disconnect the throttle cables. I recall seeing a thread or two on fuel tank removal but I cannot find them and don'tt see a sticky on the procedure it in either the How To or Technical sections.

For those who have disconnected the throttle cables, is there anything tricky about this procedure or some special care I should use? I'd appreciate any advice on the control cable routing and fuel tank removal.

wingandaprayer said:
gasket,

I have standard bars, standard cables & wires with Rivco risers, and rerouted all wires/cables behind the upper triple tree and cut/removed the looms in front.

If you need to disconnect the throttle cable for any reason, other than bellcrank adjustment, do it at the throttle grip housing. In fact, to swap bars out you may want to do that for ease of swap out. Be sure and put padding on the tank and secure your gauges out of the way when doing the "operation".

For original routing or removal of throttle cables from housing, see the shop manual. The online one is sufficient.
Have fun

wing

Wing, I want to do just the opposite, move the cables from behind the triple tree back to the front. And yes I need to disconnect the throttle cables to do it. I totally agree on padding the tank. I learned that lesson years ago.

Here's a thread about tank removal:

If you have to disconnect throttle cables from the throttle bodies then before undoing them use a bit of white or colored paint to mark where the lock nuts are set at so you can quick put them back the same by aligning the paint marks. Also remember which throttle cable goes to which port. You don't want to mix them up. Otherwise, the cables are easy enough to undo by unlocking them at the TBs and opening up the throttle assembly at the grip.

Back