Bypass Clutch Safety Switch?

AF_Hans

Standard Bore
Ride
'13 Rocket III Touring
This 2 handed start is bullsh*t. Does a method exist to bypass the safety switch so that the ECM is not affected and without any other negative consequences?

I did search the forum a few times before making this post, but did not find the info.

I have considered moving the switch to a new location, if it is determined simply bypassing it will not work.

Let us know how you make out with that, and tell us how the Power in the Rocket is stopped by the transmission the first time you forget it is in first gear. I see lots of broken Rocket parts and possibly a hole in your garage walls. Do a burnout with your Rocket someday and let your hand off the throttle so it idles down, the rear tire will continue to spin. Respect the beast or it will bite you. A second or two with two hands on the bike isn't really a wasted day.

Mmmm, I would not do that except as a field repair to get going, and I would replace the switch post haste. You will, if you bypass it permanently have the bike ride away without you eventually.

I'm assuming you guys mean "no, I do not know?"
No, I think we are saying dont do it. Anything can be modified of disconnected. It is safe to do on any other bike that has the same amount of power as a Big Twin but not the Rocket. It has too much torque and will certainly get away from you the first time its not in neutral. Trying to help you not hinder you. In my humble opinion I would not disconnect the Neutral SAFETY switch.

On the other hand, if you dont mess with the kickstand switch it may work perfectly fine. If the bike is in gear and the kickstand is down it should not start. Now I am thinking about this in a different way.

Let us know how you make out with that, and tell us how the Power in the Rocket is stopped by the transmission the first time you forget it is in first gear. I see lots of broken Rocket parts and possibly a hole in your garage walls. Do a burnout with your Rocket someday and let your hand off the throttle so it idles down, the rear tire will continue to spin. Respect the beast or it will bite you. A second or two with two hands on the bike isn't really a wasted day.

Yeah, Rick. I let that clutch off slowly after each start. I would not have to try to stop a lurch from the RIII. For me the KeyLess mod obliges me to clutch in to set off the start sequence. It's just part of the start routine.

Yep, I don't see anybody saying they don't know.....we just do not want to play with fire. Giving you a description of the possible outcomes merely illustrates our displeasure with this idea, and does not cloud a lack of knowledge. But if you need a concrete summation.....OK, just don't do it.

Hi

Apart from the possible safety issues mentioned above, pulling in the clutch reduces the load on the started motor, it has enough to do turning the big lump, without adding the load of turning the gearbox.

Richard

Back