sgl0226

.020 Over
I've had Harleys (Road King, Streetglide) but decided to try something else so I bought a BMW R1200RT when I moved to NC. The BMW was a great bike but not the kind of riding I like so I bought a T100 to go with it. I was so impressed with Triumph that I sold both and bought a 2011 Tbird (didn't really need two bikes and T100 too small as my only bike). Recently my wife started riding more with me because I met a great group of riders and we ride on weekends. My wife isn't crazy about riding but goes along because she likes the people. After a few hours she is miserable so I had a dilemma. I know that if she stops riding then I won't be able to go on as many rides as I would like. And I actually enjoy when she's around the group (thought I'd never say that). So I test rode a Rocket Touring and was extremely impressed with how powerful, smooth, stable, and easy to handle it was. Even thought the Tbird is a very comfortable bike and I can ride it for hours, I think the size of the Rocket will be much more comfortable for her. So as much as I will miss the Tbird (see attachment), I traded today for a 2012 Touring. The 2013 models are the same price but without ABS and a few other goodies. It's really the ABS that I care about so I knew I didn't have a lot of time. I pick it up Friday. Ironically, I'll spend the next week riding a rented Road King with my wife in Sturgis. But when people out there ask what I ride back home, can't wait to say Rocket 3.
I might as well start out with some questions. I know I could search for the answers and find them on this site, but I'm burnt out on the computer researching other things about the bike for the past week.
What gas does the bike use (medium grade or premium)? My Tbird used medium.
Are the side cases quick release?
Besides what the manufacturer recommends, what tire pressures are recommended by those of you who ride the Touring?
The rear shocks on the Tbird were adjustable. I set them to the "2" position. Does the Rocket Touring have a similar set up?
I know I'll have lots of questions in the future but I figured I'd begin the process now. As much as I've customized my bikes in the past, I don't think I'll do a lot to this one. Maybe some Rivco risers (had them on my Tbird). No pipes. My hearing is starting to go and I have found that having loud pipes really bothers my hearing. Yes, I'm getting old. I might eventually put a Russell Day Long seat on if the touring seat doesn't work for my wife. I had one on the BMW. I know that this bike with a Russell Day Long would be unbelievable. Some people have them on Tbirds but it really looks bad on that bike (in my opinion) and that's why I never went that route. I probably would have been forced to if I didn't enjoy the Rocket test ride. I don't think it looks bad on the Rocket Touring so I'll keep that option open.
Sorry for the rambling. Just very excited!

Attachments

• DSCN0511.jpg
    DSCN0511.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 123
R3t

You will love your new Touring.
In answer to your questions.
It uses regular fuel, no need for premium.
Rear shocks are adjustable.
I use a car tire on the rear so I can't give you a pressure for that but my front one is 38 LBS.
Side cases are very easy to remove and install, theres 2 screw cams that you turn with a slot screwdriver.
If you are a big guy you might not need the risers, Im 6'2 and the Touring is set just right.
Enjoy.

You made the best choice. I've had mine a little pver a year and 13000 miles later I wouldnt take for her. Handles like a smaller bike and will punch a hole in the wind. I run 35 psi front and rear though some may run a little higher. Im running Bridgestones front and rear. If you go the tour pack route eventually there are several options on this site too. Enjoy that Rocket!

Keep the tires at or above reccommended pressures. My R3T is more sensative to rear tire pressure than any thing else i've owned. I keep mine at 41 pounds.

Congrats on your Rocket 3 Touring. Have had mine for about a month.

As far as noise, ear plugs are your friends. I even prefer listening to music from my ScalaRider system with the ear plugs. They filter out the wind and help the bass response.

Nice lookin' T-Bird!.. You don't think she would have been happy with just a different seat? I'm sure the R3T will maker her happy though.. :)

Touring comfort shocks are better than stockers. All shocks are adjustable (to some degree). Your best bet is bump one click and see how it feels. You'll find that you will have two settings, solo and two up.

Tire pressure is based on load. If you ride 2-up, go to max, otherwise drop off a little for smoother riding.

Welcome to the forum.;)

Not got a touring myself,
although we do have two standards,
so can't help with the questions,
but I did want to welcome you to the site anyway.
After all, it is a rocket, so it can't be bad.
Welcome from Oklahoma,
skip

Touring

I love my risers. It made the bike almost a custom fit. I'm 5'10" with a 34" sleeve. Also, the factory Long Haul Dual seat is unbelievably comfortable. My wife hates my standard Rocket but, doesn't mind the Touring R3 at all. You made a good choice.

Back