Buying used or new

steve59

Nitrous
Ride
2016 KTM 1290 SDR SE. 2012 K1600 GTL Schwinn S-30
Hey all, I went around a blind corner on one of those rustic roads up in wi last weekend and popped a 4x4 atv dead center of their lane on my 1290 SDR. No injuries although I personally feel like a pinata after the party. I probably should have got the offenders info but being dinged and in farm country I just assumed responsibility and after they helped get my bike off the road I said bye.
Anyhow the frame's broke at the steering head and bike's a total loss and I have a payout coming, my question's come from owning an 06 standard and how the roadster compares specifically the suspension? my 06 made me insane feeling every expansion joint yet providing very little protection from pot holes.
Is the new tranny more reliable?
how's the footpeg position? I was told the rivco floorboards wont fit the R3R?
Can new maps be used or is the ecu locked?
I convinced myself the only person I was endangering on a motorcycle was myself and this one has me thinking.

I'm sorry to hear about any unintended contact, and happy you are here to tell about it.

You wrote, "in the center of their [emphasis added] lane", and then, "the offenders' info" -- if they were in their lane, how were they the offenders ?

Don't mean to make light at all of your situation, and some folks will be along soon to tell you about the R3R.

You didn't ask, but while I'm here, I suggest you get a used Touring. Comes with floorboards and other goodies, the ECU is available for tinkering all the way up to "serious" - of course some really talented people are around who can help with other upgrades the bank account can support.

Heal quickly, and keep writing.

I agree with you and sent them on their way with a deuce for their trouble but since then i've been getting flak because an unlicensed vehicle shouldn't be on trhe road at all Like hitting a snowmobile.

I just finished reading the 29 page thread about a 2015 blown trans and others with new bikes chirping about their tranny problems... I had a 2013 speed triple se and the 06R3 when my wife asked me to trade 1 for a more comfortable 2 up rider and while I liked the R3 much better than the s3 I traded the r3 anyhow because at 25,000 miles the trans was toast. I had hoped the change to the sealed output bearing in 09 had fixed the r3 problems but there's still too many posts of newer bikes failing so maybe a supercharged tbird storm.

@steve59 It's your life, do what you want.

I take issue with your logic.

Research *ANY* machine, and what you read will be from the minds of the unhappy - lopsidedly so.

My cat, once having finished his daily meal, curls up to sleep, and pretty much stays that way the rest of the day. All is well in his world, and no need to do anything else.

You have NOT/NOT read the 15-page threads about all the transmissions that are working just fine, because there aren't any.

We humans just don't work that way.

So do what you want -- you're doing yourself a disservice if you dial up your perception of problems with the Rockets and make decisions on that basis.

Go putting a supercharger on a Storm and you are far more likely to be looking problems sooner than later.

Of course, we humans are driven by expectations.

I used to see in the Mercedes shop where I worked. Owners would come in unhappy that there was a problem with their car. When was the last oil change ? They didn't remember - and didn't remember a bunch of other things that fall in the prevention category. And they would talk about how much better their Buick, Oldsmobile, Lincoln, Chrysler was. Press them on it, and the comparison car, whatever it was, was far more problematic. But they had paid more for the Mercedes and were unhappy with it breaking, even when abused, and conversely were expecting the American-made cars to perform poorly and so that got a shoulder shrug.

Likewise, someone who expects a machine to fail, might be driven to purchase something they KNOW will break down, because they're going to MAKE it break, and will avoid the dark (sparse data in this parlance) imagining all kinds of monsters.

We see this in abusive relationships, where someone will stick with the devil they know, such is their fear of the unknown.

Of course here, we wish you the greatest success, whatever your chosen path, and hope you are around for a long time sharing your stories and perspectives.

You say, you take issue with my logic and then spew some of the most unintelligible stuff i've read .
Thanks for your replies as you are the only reply I have. The statement about supercharging a tbird was not serious nor meant to offend you.
I research any bike before buying it and I do it by joining forums and reading actual accounts of owners like I did a few years back after a demo on a R3 I HAD TO HAVE IT! but concern over the bike jumping out of 1st and 2nd gear led me here where members assured me a firmer engagement of the lever was all I needed and on that faith I traded my tbird storm in on my Rocket, life was good. Then my bikes trans got worse over 2 years and 14,000 miles NOT because I bought it looking for trouble but, because around here we don't have a money tree. I won't buy an aprilia because time on their forum tells me they're not quite there yet. My question was new or used and since the tranny seems unchanged in its reliability i'll have to see if I prefer the other changes between the standard, classic, or roadster while an improved trans would have tipped the scales to a newer model.

It appears new maps can be added to new models still, that's a plus.

I would consider them unreliable. Mine only lasted 30,000 miles. New vs used depends on a lot of personal things. I'd say used, with a few miles, as you seem to get a good one, or not, if a bike has 30-40,000 on it, I think it increases the chances it's a good one.

New or used both have advantages. The Roadster has been built since 2010. It has all the updates and few new options that are well liked. Like ABS, 2 exhaust cans, gear position readout. The foot pegs are moved back and down a little so it is more like a standard bike instead of stretched out. I think you should go ride one and see for yourself. Reliability can seem like a crapshoot sometimes. My 2006 Standard has 41,000 miles on lt and has been perfect since day 1. I was lucky enough to buy her new with just 3 tenths of a mile on it. I broke her in and have maintained her well to my standards. I think sometimes the way a bike is broke in, ridden and maintained can lead to these disasters. Sometimes it is just a bad build from the factory. If you want to spend $16,000 buy a new bike with 0 miles and a warranty. If you want to spend less buy a good low mileage used bike of 2008 or newer for 6K to 8K. Look for used bikes that have had an upgrade package installed or have lots of extra goodies.

The Roadster rear suspension has been slightly improved, but you still need to replace them with something good and front suspension needs to have progressive springs and 7 weight fork oil installed. That is the only inexpensive way to improve the suspension handling.

You say, you take issue with my logic and then spew some of the most unintelligible stuff i've read .
Thanks for your replies as you are the only reply I have. The statement about supercharging a tbird was not serious nor meant to offend you.
I research any bike before buying it and I do it by joining forums and reading actual accounts of owners like I did a few years back after a demo on a R3 I HAD TO HAVE IT! but concern over the bike jumping out of 1st and 2nd gear led me here where members assured me a firmer engagement of the lever was all I needed and on that faith I traded my tbird storm in on my Rocket, life was good. Then my bikes trans got worse over 2 years and 14,000 miles NOT because I bought it looking for trouble but, because around here we don't have a money tree. I won't buy an aprilia because time on their forum tells me they're not quite there yet. My question was new or used and since the tranny seems unchanged in its reliability i'll have to see if I prefer the other changes between the standard, classic, or roadster while an improved trans would have tipped the scales to a newer model.

It appears new maps can be added to new models still, that's a plus.
27,000 miles on a Rocket X bought in Sept 2015 brand new. No problems at all. I normally ride 500 miles plus back and forth to work on a open highway doing a average of 75 to 80 miles a hour. I do all my own Maintenance which included a valve adjustment job recently. The oil gets changed every 5,000 miles with Mobil 10-40 racing T. Recently installed Ramair and waiting on a full system exhaust from Paul. Went over to a friends house to check out his Rocket and pretty much figured out that they very well may have screwed up the valve job by not getting the cams in properly. This job was done by one of the local dealers. Other folks on here have taken their bikes in for valve covers leaking only to find a thousand or so miles the cover is leaking again. Mine is still not leaking after 1,500 miles later but then again i did the work myself. Sure that a few shops out there may know what they are doing but afraid that is not the majority. A lot of headaches can be avoided by doing proper maintenance and I do not believe some of the dealers are doing a very good job which is resulting in major problems. Even a simple clutch cable adjustment done improper from a dealer can lead to bigger problems later on. Thus far the Rocket X is the best bike I have ever owned. Most reliable, not to difficult to work on, and most of all THE MOST FUN TO RIDE.

Back