Burnt on fabric softener!

zenbiker

Zenbiker
Ride
2021 R3 GT
Once before and now again with my 2021 R# GT, if come home after a ride and found black spots on the header pipes (rear and middle).
This happened with a Harley I had years ago and the baked on stuff is from the fabric softener used washing my jeans.
It is the hardest MF...thing ever to remove. If you use abrasives, you polish out the satin finish. I also have never found a solvent that works...acetone, lacquer thinner, "Boot Mark Remover" from HD...nothing!
Eventually I resorted to a nylon Scotch Brite pad which took ages of scrubbing to finally get the black spots off.
Anyone else have tis happen?
My jeans occasionally touch the header shields but not the headers themselves so I'm not sure why this is happening!
Ideas?

Oh, and quit using fabric softener
Ok - so you know where it's coming from but you still keep on using it... what shall I say without offending you...

By the way: my wife stopped using fabric softeners some 30 years ago... no negative impact since that days... ok, it saved money, but that's positive...

Hi, I get black spots on my pipes and I Don't use fabric softener ....I find if you put some Mineral Turpentine on a rag it cleans off the spots . Not sure if your spots are the same as mine but it may work.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 19
Back