Building my own exhaust!!!

Wannbe

Supercharged
Ride
2014 R3R
My wonderful wife ordered me a Ramair filter for Christmas and I knew I wanted to work on the exhaust also, so I started a project. I knew my stock exhaust was going away either way so I figured I wouldn't be losing anything if I ruined it. I pulled off the cans, cut the front of each one off at the large point that is under the covers. Torched the inside out til just left with the outer skins. At that point I ordered cones 2" x 4" 18" long. Welded a 2" pipe to make up correct length. Cut out rear of each pipe to fit 4" cone. Welded it all back together. Total time spent was probably near 3 days total. I did discolor the chrome while gutting the pipe, but will have it all ceramic coated to black. I actually wanted to ceramic coat it anyway, so that's a good reason to do it. In total I spent 70$ on the cones and shipping, and the rest was just shop supplies such as cutting wheels welding wire etc. Even with ceramic coating I should be less than 250$ for the total project. And by the way I am very happy with the new sound. I've only heard one other Rocket exhaust and that was a carpenter'ed bike with brute exhaust. So I really have nothing to compare it to. It is a deep strong note that my bro-in-law said made his balls vibrate. Also it doesn't sound like a tractor anymore, even at idle. I'm very happy with the way it turned out especially the sound.

Btw. Before anyone starts commenting on my less than superior welding skills, I'm a truck driver not a welder. It may not be pretty but who stands and studies the exhaust outlet anyway.

20160212_124521.jpg
20160212_082643.jpg
20160212_174019.jpg
20160212_174030.jpg

So it's just a straight through pipe now? No wonder it had that effect on the brother in law's balls! You might find quite a bit drop in torque.
Be good to see what came out of the stock pipes.
And of course, where's the sound clip?

So it's just a straight through pipe now? No wonder it had that effect on the brother in law's balls! You might find quite a bit drop in torque.
Be good to see what came out of the stock pipes.
And of course, where's the sound clip?
It is just a straight thru cone shape. Which is what I understood tors and other pipes were. What is inside the pipes was the cat and 3 separate chambers with a 1.5 inch pipe connecting each chamber. I will try another clip. I tried one and it was nothing like the actual sound.

I tried another sound clip, with the limitations of the phone it is hard to get a good idea, but this one is about as good as I can get. The ticking sound in the clip is not there in person. Must be the microphone.

Yes it works now. Did you put the cones you made back inside the original chrome pipes ?

How about a sound clip and video of you riding it cruising and WOT ?

Good on you for trying somthing outta the box , what tune did you run with ?

That actually sounds OK not under any load - Interested in hearing the loaded note. I know mine is loud but you don't get horsepower quietly....

Back