BST CF Rims Are Super Tough!

hombre

Nitrous
My re-tuning with X-Stream filter yielded 246 Ft-Lbs torque. A nice little increase, and enough to completely spin my Pirelli on the CF rim during a hard launch running 30 psi rear. The rear tire lost all air pressure, and then came partially off the left side rim before I came to complete stop. Naked CF rim edge was rolling on hard chip macadam.

No splinters, cracks, or gouge damage of any kind! In fact, the ugly "marring" that you see above dressed right out with some fine wet/dry paper. The BST CF rims can take this kind of abuse and go right back into service. They are indeed an engineering masterpiece, as aluminum rims would have sustained significant gouging.

Here's the same edge after dressing and sealing with BST SUPER SECRET GLOSS HARD FINISH:

This one went on with sealant on the rim... and I've already spun it 4" (@36 psi)!!! :eek:

Thats insane, I love those wheels and are on my "wish list" but I have to buy the misses a bike first. Looks like you are going to need to talk to bst and figure out some kind of bead lock for that bad boy.

The "hard gloss" finish is actually nail polish (recommended by BST for touch-ups), and was only applied to the rim edge where it contacted the road. We used black tire sealant where the bead seals on the rim. Next time we will try 3M adhesive.

Walt:

I believe I'd be using 3M General Trim Adhesive, Part Number 08088. It's a clear, high strength adhesive. It's heat and moisture resistant. Comes in an aerosol can. Best part is it's available at your local Walmart for $9.88 a can. Walmart stock number 10-2008.

I use the stuff all the time. I use 3M black weatherstrip adhesive as well, but I believe for your application, the general trim adhesive will work better and you can mask off where you don't want it and spray it on.

Screw it! :D Drill a $4it load of holes all along the bead area of the rim, both sides, and run screws into the bead:D I ran a 150hp Corvair Spider engine on the a$$ of a VW sand rail. The 11" rims would spin inside the Sebring slicks. So I resorted to screwing it. BTW, that was launching in 2nd gear; the VW bus clutch wouldn't hold in 1st.

I'm glad no more damage was incurred.

Last edited:
Back