broken steelplate clutchbasket

unforgiven

.020 Over
I have an issue with the thin steelplate between basket and its gearwheel. it has been stock fixed together and the only (temporarely) solution for that problem is buying a new stock basket. is there anywhere on this planet ( exept for China, I'm sorry) a stronger basketunit to get ?

I do not remember. If yours is an '04 to '05 model or possibly an '06 silver motor, the steel plates on the backlash eliminators were .030" thinner than the newer motors. If yours is a newer year then you are suffering from excessive Torque :)

Did you actually break yours or just damage it a wee bit? There have been a couple three of us who have experienced some clutch issues, one of which ended up with a broken crankshaft. I know two baskets have exploded and well I had mine augmented with a MTC billet forged basket and then grenaded the inner clutch hub. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine is a 04 one and yes, there is/was 'some' torque anyway. The plate I mean is just the only one that's hardly to be seen, pressed between the big gearwheel(s) and the basket. ( as you spoke about stell "plates", plural) By the way, also the squair 'holes' with the thick shock absorber springs inside the big gear, have been notched at one end each hole...
Question is if the MTC one doesn't get also that broken (.) issue.

Mine is a 04 one and yes, there is/was 'some' torque anyway. The plate I mean is just the only one that's hardly to be seen, pressed between the big gearwheel(s) and the basket. ( as you spoke about stell "plates", plural) By the way, also the squair 'holes' with the thick shock absorber springs inside the big gear, have been notched at one end each hole...
Question is if the MTC one doesn't get also that broken (.) issue.
I am off to work but will try to log in and answer some questions while I am there. Its been a busy week I have been working second shift 6:00 AM to 8:00 PM :(

Mine is an 04, early baskets were weaker,mine was OK but wanted to upgrade to handle the extra power
So I purchased a new late type, sent it to MTC as they fit their billet basket to your triumph backplate/gear.
Has been no problem since fitting the MTC basket & clutch plates.
Scott will put you on the right path here.

Does You the spring seat area in on the plates look like these or worse

Les is right some of us who have ventured intot he High hporse power area have made sacrifices to the Gods of Power

My internal Clutch

Forced Air can be hard on clutches I believe this is Par Larsons sacrifice to the Gods of power on his 300 HP Echo cycle turbo Rocket

I will look around for darrels pictures of scrap but they look the same as his was a turbo unit.

You here people ask for torque down low which I never could understand why would some one want all their power down low in a area you could not possible use excpt off the line then you will and shouldbe in a rpm range that is up high unless you let the bike idle down before shifting. The fact is to much torque leads to learnign how to work on a Rocket because you quickly will realize you cannot afford to pay someone else to constantly take your engine apart.

MTC will take a OEM Basket and remove it from the back lash eliminator add new larger steel spacer and rivits along with there Forged Billet Clutch basket. How good is the unit well In the picture above of my grenade event I lost 4 out of the five spring towers and destroyed the blower cover.

[/UR]

Now you asked about the strength of the MTC Basket. all the damage to my clutch hub and blower cover andyyet it did not even scratch the Annodizing on the clutch basket. I can help you with them but you will need a clutch so they can pull the back off. Now that being said I have a used clutch but as you can see the outer plate has soem spring wheear. I can not tell you if the inner one has. I suppose I could drill the rivits and check it for you as the only thing I use it for is to make clutchhub and basket locking tools for removing th ebasket. I Can check around and see what I can get a new one for from my dealer friend.

Now THAT'S UGLY!!!
Now I gotta go see some **** to erase it from my brain!

go
I have an issue with the thin steelplate between basket and its gearwheel. it has been stock fixed together and the only (temporarely) solution for that problem is buying a new stock basket. is there anywhere on this planet ( exept for China, I'm sorry) a stronger basketunit to get ?
I got a whole clutch basket (8000 miles) sitting on a shelf if you are interested in the thing or part thereof..

Back