alexwasserman

.060 Over
Ride
R3T 2008, Trophy 1200 1995
This morning I've got a broken kickstand/sidestand switch. Was fine when I last put her away, so no idea on root-cause.

Bike starts fine, but only in neutral. Once started, I can lift the stand, but dies immediately when I shift gears. Seems just like the switch isn't signaling the stand is up. I've checked that the stand is up when shifting.

But - how do I move forward? Can I just disconnect it?

Last edited:
Follow the wires up to the connector of the wire harness.then
Follow the wires up to the connector of the harness then unplug.Youccan either take the switch off of the bike or go down the switch wires about three inches and snip the wires .there are three wires .Cut the center wire off close to the connector ,then solder the two outside wires together and tape them up.Itshould start up fine you just have to remember to put the stand up . this will last until you get a new switch (or not) I've had mine by-passed for more than a year with no problems.

I took it off, and fiddled with it, made sure the plunger could depress and come back out again.

Leaving it hanging the bike started and shifted fine, so I reconnected it and all is working.

Not sure if it's a sign of a failing switch, or just the crud, but great to have the bypass procedure from @Fingers. Worried I'd just leave it down, as I do that often enough.

For now, seems good.

Managed to ding up my tank though, while resting the bike against the wall so I could get good access to the stand and mess with it.

Next thing will be finding a good painter in CT.

Back