British Fuses Different?

dobro

Supercharged
Ride
2011 R3T
I read that the rating system for fuses used in Britain is substantially different than for fuses used in the USA. British fuses are rated based on the amount of current that will cause them to blow instantly while USA fuses are bases on the the amount of current they can handle forever. The preceding results in a British fuse that is rated at 30 amps being the equivalent of a USA fuse rated at 20 amps, 20 British equals 10 USA, 10 British equals 7 USA. Is that true? Are the fuses recommended for our bikes based on British or USA fuse ratings?

is the cup half full or is it half empty.
i believe that they select a fuse that will protect the circuit to a safe level to protect components and wiring from melting and catching on fire. i would guess that the British think that their systems can handle more current. the ign switch?

is the cup half full or is it half empty.
i believe that they select a fuse that will protect the circuit to a safe level to protect components and wiring from melting and catching on fire. i would guess that the British think that their systems can handle more current. the ign switch?

I think the big question is this: in the Triumph manual it specifies fuses of certain amperage. Are those specified numbers based on the British fuse rating system, which I have read is very different than the USA fuse rating system? If they are, when we buy a fuse in the USA, which is based on the USA fuse rating system, should we buy a lower amp fuse so it will be the equivalent of the British rated fuse? For example, if the manual is based on the British fuse rating system and it specifies a 30 amp fuse, we would have to install a USA rated 20 amp fuse to use the British equivalent.

I give up i do not know how the two is rated but if you put a lower fuse in the rocket i would carry extra fuses because it seems to me that they are barely impassible on the ones that are called for. i personally played with mine so much that i don't know whether they are British or American and i have never had a problem. now i am running the add a fuses so if i have a problem i just twist a couple of wires together.

If in doubt, a bit of fencing wire will always work as a fuse. ;)

I have also seen many of the blown, old style glass cylinder fuses wrapped with the metallic paper from cigarette boxes.

If in doubt, a bit of fencing wire will always work as a fuse. ;)

I have also seen many of the blown, old style glass cylinder fuses wrapped with the metallic paper from cigarette boxes.
Not a good idea. It works but there is the possibility that the reason for the blown fuse will rear it's ugly head and your wiring harness might go up in smoke and flames thus ending your participation in The Great White Norton Rally. DAMHIK :(

looks to me like (British)current times 2 equal fuse installed.
i think that is a calulation i can use untill some comes up with something better.
us current times ? equal fuse installed.

Back