Brisbane tuners

Discussion in 'RDU - Rockets Downunder' started by Jenko, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Jenko

Jenko and Ruby

Australia
    Featured Threads:
    Ride:
    2005 Rocket 3
    Research time guys all help appreciated.

So I currently have a list of repairs that need to be completed, after which I have some cosmetic and performance upgrades in mind, I'm all sorted for the current repairs, I have my plan for cosmetic/comfort upgrades. And to an extent I have a plan for the performance stuff. I have my eye on a nice set of staintunes, a cat delete, swap the current tune boy pods to a ramair or k&n (you know, all the standard stuff) the issue I have is the tune. Following are my questions (some may seem silly, but I'll ask anyway)
    1. I assume by the tune boy pods I have a tune boy tune
    2. I have read a few times about a tune boy password (I definitely wasn't told it)
    3. I'm not confident in trying a self tune with only the information I have read, is someone local willing to walk me through it?
    4. What is the rough cost of a professional tune and is there anyone recommended in the area (southside, Ipswich)

2. Ishrub

Ishrub Retired and loving it!

Featured Threads:
    Ride:
    R3 Roadster,Sprint ST 1050 ABS, BMW R100RS sidecar
    There is no such thing as 'Tune Boy Pods' that I am aware of. 'Tune Boy' is a proprietary tuning package and software system which is quite expensive and individually licensed and cannot be onsold easily. It now has largely been replaced by freeware from TuneECU and Dynotune Poeer Commander systems.

The physical air filters are:

• Stock panel insert with all the underseat plumbing
    • an aftermarket replacement filter for stock by K&N etc which does not achieve much at all
    Then you go to removing the under seat air intake plumbing and fit a variety of filter systems direct to the throttle bodies without the air intake plenum etc.

These can be Triple POD filters like K&N, RamAir, UniFilter etc, These are generic 61/62mm neck pods

And then there are the panel filter systems:

RamAir make the specific version for the R3 throttle bodies with in built trumpets under the foam. This will support the production of up to about 220 rear wheel hp with other engine mods and a gooddyno tune.

With more modification sealed plenum type panel systems can be modified to suit very high output modified engines. See @Claviger threads on the issue

3. Jenko

Jenko and Ruby

Australia
    Featured Threads:
    Ride:
    2005 Rocket 3
    I have the stock intake removed and 3 bright orange foam Pod filters that are branded "tune boy" and was told the bike has been tune to those filters..... My assumption. Therefore is tune boy tune.

4. Ishrub

Ishrub Retired and loving it!

Featured Threads:
    Ride:
    R3 Roadster,Sprint ST 1050 ABS, BMW R100RS sidecar
    As I said, I was unaware, maybe they supplied filters with the TuneBoy system?

It was quite expensive and required the user to have a special code that only worked for the unit they purchase from what I have read. They are or were very good in their day and the only way to go at one time - you had best fird out what your tune is and if there is any other TuneBoy hardware / electronics fitted as well.

I got similar sounding ones on my recent purchase of a 2nd 2010 Roadster not quite stock anymore;):D

R3 Custom Lloyds Qld 15.JPG R3R custom flames 2010 13.JPG

5. idk

idk Living Legend

Featured Threads:
    Ride:
    Royal Enfield Bullet
    TuneBoy used to make pods a long time ago but lost a lot of popularity when a set of them caught fire and destroyed the bike. TuneBoy was, and probably still is, expensive software and I for one stopped using it after getting no customer service after many attempts. TuneECU will probably do all you need to do.

If you want the bike to be very close to perfectly tuned with any combination of filters and exausts, then Power Commander V with AutoTune is a great option.

Clay likes this.
  6. John Miller

John Miller .040 Over

Australia
    Featured Threads:
    Ride:
    2011 Rocket 3 roadster
    Yep I have a set of the bright Orange filters on my 2011 R3R. With Staintune mufflers and crossover. Pity the ECU ins't the same.

7. kenne

kenne Supercharged

Australia
    Featured Threads:
    Ride:
    05 Rocket iii Rat
    index

Their on the Gold Coast but have worked on a few Rockets. just a quick sprint down the M1

8. Jenko

Jenko and Ruby

Australia
    Featured Threads:
    Ride:
    2005 Rocket 3
    Okay, to clarify.
    I have tune boy pods, I assume I have tune boy software. I do not intend to keep either because a) I can not source new filters b) there is better available.
    I intend to change the filters at the same time as putting a new exhaust in. However I have been told (including once in this thread) that tuneboy is password protected. Do I need the password to remove it and go to tune ecu or only to modify it? I would much rather get away from tune boy but if I can not get away from it due to not having the password then I would be wasting my time buying the exhaust ..

9. Roscoe

Roscoe Supercharged

Featured Threads:
    Ride:
    2008 R3

I just got a quote from Pro Cycle Dyno at Springwood he is in a side street off moss st, he quoted me $599 to tune mine I got 3 into 1 with ramair, I could leave it as it is running a tad rich but the popping on decel has become annoying, so saving up to get the Dyno done he is recomended by many around Southside of Brisbane

Mittzy likes this.
  10. Roscoe

Roscoe Supercharged

Featured Threads:
    Ride:
    2008 R3
    I also got 2 new seats for mine one is a touring seat for long haul and the other is like a stinger both a one piece seat, one of the fellas on here has a seat for sale at Saliabury comes with built in riders back rest bloody nice seat...... he also has a shed full of spares Mittzy is his name on her real nice bloke!

Mittzy likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice