Bridgestone Tire Reps Response

johnreeder

Friend of God
Ride
R3T 2008
I was really surprised. I e-mailed Bridgestone to find out why the Rocket wasn't listed since they make the correct size in a radial. I assumed whatever the problem might have been with the recall, they would have fixed it by now. But to my surprise I was told that their tires were not designed for the Triumph Rocket III Tourer. They didn't explain other than simply suggesting they are not recommending their tires for our bikes. Here's the e-mail to read for yourself.

Dear John,

Thank you for your mail.

Yes, we produce tyres in the correct size but they're not approved for use on this bike. The Rocket III Tourer needs special fitment tyres for it and the tyres from our range are not designed to be used with this type of design of bike.

I trust this helps.

Please contact me directly should you require further information.

Regards,

Gary Hartshorne
Motorcycle Product Manager
Bridgestone Europe
North Region
T; 01926 488551
M; 07989 359075
F; 01926 488503

www.bridgestonebikersclub.co.uk
www.bridgestone.eu

B.S.

One would think we could at least use their tire on the front. But I guess most recommend to run the same make and design front and back. I'm thinking of using the new Shinko radial. But now I'm concerned about whether or not it may be pulled to shreads. It looks like there's only two proven tires, Avon and Metzler. Both dig deep in your pockets and don't last very long. No wonder so many are going to car tires.

Last edited:
I just fitted an Exeda on the rear and I was considering the same for the front, I wonder if its some sort of legal claim thing BS are protecting themselves against.. I suppose its a concern for them when we can Mod and develope such high torques at the rear wheel.. It seems they are saying yes we make a tyre but use it at your own risk.. JMO

As posted else where, I am running a Bridgestone Exedra Max on the rear and a Bridgestone Exedra G502 on the front. I haven't been anywhere yet except to work in back (70 mile round trip mostly highway/freeway) and I like them. The rear tire is a 240/55-16.. so that in itself would be reason that Bridgestone would not recommend them for thr Rocket. The tire does raise the rear of the bike about an inch. But, I have had no issues with them so far..

Rocket Touring

Bridgestones are fine on the R3...Not the R3T(which is this forum!!)..the torque caused tire degradation(breaking up on the inside) and were replaced on the 08 models and all subsequent R3T have Metzlers installed at the factory.Triumph issued me a new owners manual with Metzlers as recommended factory tires and asked me to destroy the original manual which stated that the recomended tire was a Bridgestone Exedra(oem).The R3T rear tire is an 180..substantualy smaller than the 240 posted earlier that is mounted on a Rocket Standard.I personally would wish that the Standard owners would not post info on this forum which misinforms riders and leads to confusion as to what is safe and acceptable.Thanks and Safe rideing!!

I am running a General Altimax 205 60 16 with no regrets, have rode the curviest roads around and can't tell any difference, grip has actually improved.

I was considering the darkside and called my insurance broker and asked about a car tire on the bike, they told me it would not be an issue. I would suggest you call your company but that is what I was told.

Back