Breaking the clutch shaft

Toystoretom

Living Legend
I got a little info from someone in the know...:D

First, I'll make sure we are on the same page. Lets call the long shaft that fits in the front cover and has the cutout the "Lifter shaft"

Lets call the short rod that is installed through a bearing in the pressure the "Lifter Rod".

Upon assembly the lifter rod fits into the shaft, and when you pull in on the clutch lever the shaft rotates and pulls on the rod, thereby lifting the pressure plate off of the clutch plates.

In theory, the lifter rod shouldn't spin with the clutch, it is mounted in a bearing. There are two kinds of bearings, an early vs. late setup, but it doesn't really matter which kind you have, either bearing should keep the rod from spinning.

Sometimes the lifter shaft breaks in the very narrow area of the cutout, and upon inspection it looks as if the rod had eaten through it, which shouldn't happen because the rod doesn't spin because its mounted in a bearing.

Someone has discovered that the rod can have runout, ie it isn't straight. If you were to pull it out of the pressure plate and roll it on a known flat surface it would have a wobble to it. This runout may cause the rod to bind the bearing causing the rod to spin and eat at the shaft. How this rod gets into a runout situation is unknown.

If your shaft beaks for sure replace the rod also and check it for runout. You could use a dial indicator for accurate results.

As I mentioned earlier, make sure you have 2 mm freeplay at the clutch lever. It wouldn't hurt to shift into neutral at red lights or if you will be stopped for more than just a moment.

Just some food for thought. I'll bet 99% of the bikes out there are just fine. I inspected mine while I was playing with the lockup clutch and the shaft looked like new. So don't run down to your dealer and beat the poor guy up unless you really have a clutch problem. :D

Well mines in the shop because of the clutch, I wonder if thats the issue. I loosened the cable as much as possible and I still couldnt get any freeplay. I wonder if I should let the dealer know, or wait and see what the find, BTW I have an 08 R3T

Well mines in the shop because of the clutch, I wonder if thats the issue. I loosened the cable as much as possible and I still couldnt get any freeplay. I wonder if I should let the dealer know, or wait and see what the find, BTW I have an 08 R3T

The reason you can't get any freeplay is the bellcrank is in the wrong position as it relates to the internal actuator. The only way that can happen it it has to be removed (like in puttin on risers) or takin g it off to gain cable movement.

If the bellcrank is positioned in a position where there is no freeplay at the clutch, no amount of cable adjustment at the handlebar is going to alleviate the situation because the cable pull isn't that great.

Tomo....

I would suggest rolling the internal (short) lifter shaft and the through shaft on a glass windowpane laid on a horoziontal surface to see if there is any runout in lieu of an indicator. Float glass is level within a couple 10ths.

Last edited:
Mine broke Friday morning on the way to Maggie Valley. I'd be curiuos about the straightness of the shaft. Freeplay definitely wasn't the issue in my case. The thing is, however, I inspected the broken shaft myself and it didn't appear to be chewed or eaten. It was simply a clean break as far as I could tell. The notch appeared to be thin, however.

Daryl.... your shaft may have had a casting flaw making it weak, who knows. In any case, it's not the beefiest setup, is it.

ahpd... I'm sure your dealer knows all about this.

Flip... I've got yer glass right here...:D

No, it's really not very beefy looking. I was surprised at how thin it gets in the notch. The whole assembly is rather relic looking technology for the 21st century. And folks talk about Harleys. ;)

I would be surprised if that shaft is cast. There could be and issue in the heat treatment process (like there was no heat treatment). But I would think a part like this should have at least a 60 rockwell. But who knows.

I have found a trend with these rockets. The more you play the more you pay. It seems like if you mod almost anything it can have some serious consequences if you overlook a minor detail. I'm almost afraid to mod now (who am i kidding, Ive already started with rear fender trims!!!:D starting slow dont want to overdo it!)

mutt

I see two, possibly 3 weak areas in the R3 in mechanical design. Notwithstanding the upgrade issues, I see the clutch actuation being slightly better than stone age (a full hydraulic actuation would be much better)....

Don't think HD is any better. Even late model HD's still use the stone age non-unit transmission, chain primary and (oh my God!!!) a solid nylon slipper type primary chain tensioner

Another area that hasn't reared it's ugly head yet is the Hookes type universal joint nestled away in the final drive. It's permanently lubricated and not accessable and I can see that being a longevity issue

Finally, the non-rebuildable head with the cam running in no bearings. Build the who engine to be rebuildable and then design the head to be a throw away....Don't make any sense.

Tomo....

Please expound on your statement about 'the glass'. I'm curious.

Back