TOMCAT

Rage against the machine
Ride
2009 RIII Standard - 2008 Speed Triple -1995 900 T'Bird
Any ideas on why my bike is breaking down under throttle. I thought i'd gotten a tank of dirty fuel (water) but i've put a bottle of Motul fuel cleaner through it and its still breaking down. Noticed the tacho is reading 3,000 r.p.m when the bike is idling (thought this maybe a diagnostic indicator?) Strange thing is its not doing it all the time, it will run ok for half an hour then start playing up again. Got me stumped !!

TPS or ignition switch
I agree, these are the most likely to fail or cause trouble like that as they are beginning to fail. Next time it starts acting up, jiggle the ignition key and wires around it. Also turn steering back and forth from lock to lock and see if anything changes. Same goes for the TPS, check if fiddling with those causes any change.
With it being a 2009 is there warranty left to have the dealer look at it?

Thanks,just had TPS replaced. Will try the key jiggling. Any idea why the tacho be reading like it is , reads 6,000 rpm at 100kph (60mph) ??

My tach jumping around was just one of the bizarre things acting up when the switch was failing. Other than that it could be wiring, ECM or even the tach itself. Even if recently out of warranty, the dealer might be your best bet for diagnosing it. Calling Triumph before taking it in and rattling their cage with your complaint would likely get them to cover all of it.

Thanks,just had TPS replaced. Will try the key jiggling. Any idea why the tacho be reading like it is , reads 6,000 rpm at 100kph (60mph) ??

I know how you Aussies drive you are probably in first gear:D When the ignition switch starts to go it does some weird stuff and if it is the switch Triumph should give you a new one free of charge they did for me and my bike was three years out of warranty.

Thanks again, bikes booked in for tommorow. Their one and only Triumph tech is on 2 weeks leave so i was just trying to get an idea of where they should be looking. Bikes a couple of months out of warranty and i think i may have used up all their " good will" on the driveshaft fiasco. See how we go i guess.

Experience has shown me threats and intimidation work better than charm in these situations. I told the workshop manager if they didnt come to the party on the tailshaft i was going to belt someone there and then... hey presto, all sorted. Catherines charms are best left to booking accomodation and entertainment for our motley crew... Gang of desperates over-run a motel booked by this " sweet sounding young woman"... ha ha

Back