Breakaway Throttle Lock

fat frank

Supercharged
Just installed the breakaway unit on my Roadster and am in love with it. Clean and easy install. Certainly will make the longer rides more enjoyable. Got it on Ebay with free shipping for $189.00 Highly recommended. Doesn't take up much of the grip and works great. Releases with a touch of the button or immediately with a touch of the brake lever. A must have for me.

Attachments

• 000_0293.jpg
    000_0293.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 433
  • 000_0294.jpg
    000_0294.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 932
  • 000_0295.jpg
    000_0295.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 518
I installed mine last year and would not be able to ride all day without it. I'm thinking this winter I'll try to install the electronic cruise that I have been seeing on here. But until then, this throttle lock is the cats meow.

Big T

I installed on on my '09 Classic last year and have never managed to get it dialed in. It takes a full fist crush and usually 5-6 tries to get it set and then t pops off after a few seconds. :confused:
I try to use it occasionally, but for the most part it's more a hassle than anything.

After you have it assembled on the bike in a loose condition, follow the tightening, adjusting sequence and it should be alright. Mine works easy. There is an adjustment screw to fine tune after it's tight. On the underside. Do you still have the instructions?
One important step is to get the initial ring on the throttle and tighten the four set screws keeping it centered and perpindicular to the throttle.

I love my BrakeAway. True, it took some fiddling around to get it perfectly dialed in, but once there - it holds my speed for as long as I want. I've had it engaged for as long as 10 minutes with no variation in speed.

I agree with Frank - a must have!

I installed on on my '09 Classic last year and have never managed to get it dialed in. It takes a full fist crush and usually 5-6 tries to get it set and then t pops off after a few seconds. :confused:
I try to use it occasionally, but for the most part it's more a hassle than anything.

I had the same experience. It worked great in the driveway so I took it on a 5000-mile ride this past week. The thing pops out every few seconds...never did get it to work correctly.

I'll try the suggestions by the other riders. I know it's a quality piece of gear as other friends are using it successfully. Guess I just have to "dial it in."

I had the same experience. It worked great in the driveway so I took it on a 5000-mile ride this past week. The thing pops out every few seconds...never did get it to work correctly.

I'll try the suggestions by the other riders. I know it's a quality piece of gear as other friends are using it successfully. Guess I just have to "dial it in."
Definately adjustment problems. The height is important as to the black nylon bumber that the brake lever hits and you don't want it right next to the lever either. I haven't had any problems with mine. Works smooth and great. I did trim the inside flange off of my grip so I could mount it closer to the switch housing, leaving more grip exposed.

If it won't stay engaged, you probably have it set to high. The cam that will hit the brake can be a little low when not engaged. it raises a bit when engaged, and is probably hiting the brake lever. You set the height while you have the lock engaged. It should just touch when engaged. If you mount it too high, you can bend the spring plate that locks the unit. See your instructions and this can be corrected. Good luck.
Believe me, if adjusted properly is is smooth and locks easily. If you don't have the instructions , I can send you a copy.
later and good luck

The break away is not a real easy install. You really need to understand the mechanics and then take the time to dial it in. If you are having trouble getting it to work. Start over.

On my install (Rocket Touring with custom Grips) I had to use the plastic extension piece to work on my brake lever.

The biggest problem with the Rocket is that the brake handle is rounded and flairs out right at the point where the Brake Away Trip Mechanism contacts the lever. I chose to pull my brake lever and grind it flat at the contact point.

I like the Brake Away so much I chose to pass on the electronic version. I can disengage the Brake Away in a split second where the electronic has a delay and is slow to respond both on the take up and the reset. I also installed the Brake Away on my X Bike and my Hayabusa. It works great on those bike as well.

Just for the record, the biggest mistake I made on the friction throttle control was buying the kuryakyn grips and partner bar end throttle control. I screwed up a good set of bars trying to get that setup to work.

If you have the kuryakyn setup and it works for you, my compliments. My kuryakyn grips and bar ends are new and for sale cheap. How about 25$ and I pay the freight. The cost on the pair was at least 150$.

Thanks for the kudos. My Kuryakyn ISO's with bar end throttle bosses (both sides) and KewlMwtal bar end helmet locks work very well with my BrakeAway. Took a couple of sessions of adjustment, but perfect now. I didn't have to grind down the levers - they work well the way they are and have never failed to disengage with just a touch. Nor do I have any trouble engaging the device with a push on the thumb lever.

I would recommend the setup to anyone.

I need help!

I removed my breakaway from my speedmaster and want to install on my rocket3T. My problem is that I can't get the plastic ring to compress enough to fit over the grips. The grips are much thicker on the rocket. Did you guys who have had sucess gring part of the grip or am I totally missing something.

Back