BreakAway Cruise Control Install Note:

Bedifferent

Old man on a bike
Ride
2015 Rocket 3 Touring
This is just an FYI for you. I just installed a 7CP01 BrakeAway Control and I've got it working just fine on my Triumph Rocket 3 Touring. I was able to make a jig that allowed me to neatly and accurately sand the flair down to under 1.9 inches. (See a post I made about this several weeks back if interested) I think mine wound up being about 1.8". I had to move the handlebar brake control just a little more than 1/2" away from the switch control to get the support clamp where it needed to be. One problem I did have was getting the breakaway feature to work properly (if at all) because the plastic cam sets to low relative to the brake lever if properly adjusted. My solution was to make this little bracket to rise the whole cam up about 1/4". The cam mounting screw rides in the slot to keep things from turning, with the locknut resting on the slotted mounting strip. The back screw holds the new cam bracket solution securely in place. It is possible to make the BrakeAway function, but you would have to force the brake cluster further that a 1/2 away from the switch body in order to get the brake lever to hit the release. The black plastic cam in the picture has a raised piece on the bottom to keep it aligned in a slot on the BrakeAway, thus the elongated hole for it to rest in when mounted to the bracket.

I know the 7CP01 isn't specifically listed for the Rocket Touring, but it is supposed to work if you mod the stock grip as mentioned above. The BrakeAway is a nifty little unit and is as close to a throttle lock solution with an automatic release if you tap the front brake. I had one on my Valkyrie and was very happy with it. This little mod makes it work more correctly now. All is good...just thought you might like to know for future reference. A taller cam would be nice or a spacer block to make things work. Anyway, 1/4" additional height is the magic number.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 1
Back