BRAND NEW Rocket III with Oil leak

Red Back Rocket

Standard Bore
Hello to all, I am new to this forum Please Help!!!
I have read a couple of posts, however there is nothing like my problem!
I bought a Rocket III 2015 model 2 days ago with 3km after mechanic had tested it. After 30km on the way home this happened

I must also mention that the fan was working constantly, as soon as I stop at the traffic lights the fan was already on! And I could feel enormous amount of heat coming from the engine! But no warning lights were blinking at all. The engine was soo hot that the triumph plastic sticker on the badge has bubbled.

Today the bike is at the dealership with even more oil dripping than in the photo and they said that they do not know what the problem is, or how serious it is because this hasn't happened on a brand new bike before. They are guessing it might be head gasket, or factory fault head or whatever else Triumph are telling them to check. They don't have a clue....

So today I sit at home with an empty bank account and no bike for at least a week after only enjoying my ride for only 2hrs. Not happy Jan.
Can anybody tell me how serious this problem is for a brand new Rocket III.

P.S. Hope the image will appear!!!

Perth, Western Australia

Triumph Rocket III 2015 Oil Leak.JPG

I'd make them give me another new motorcycle,after they tear into the current bike it becomes a used motorcycle

I'd make them give me another new motorcycle,after they tear into the current bike it becomes a used motorcycle
+1 on demanding another NEW Rocket. It seems Triumph is pretty good at allowing a trade to a new bike if serious problems arise (with enough pushing from owner/dealer). Sounds like you have a serious problem with overheating and possible internal problems! Demand, demand, demand new- broken OR repaired is not acceptable!

I had the factory fault head on my 2013 when I first purchased it.

Triumph replaced my bike with a new 2014.

Hopefully they will do the same for you, Good luck

Ask your dealer to contact triumph corporate and ask for a new bike! I would not take no for an answer, be nice and calm and I'm sure they will take care of you!

Good luck!

I had the factory fault head on my 2013 when I first purchased it.

Triumph replaced my bike with a new 2014.

Hopefully they will do the same for you, Good luck
Hello to all, I am new to this forum Please Help!!!
I have read a couple of posts, however there is nothing like my problem!
I bought a Rocket III 2015 model 2 days ago with 3km after mechanic had tested it. After 30km on the way home this happened

I must also mention that the fan was working constantly, as soon as I stop at the traffic lights the fan was already on! And I could feel enormous amount of heat coming from the engine! But no warning lights were blinking at all. The engine was soo hot that the triumph plastic sticker on the badge has bubbled.

Today the bike is at the dealership with even more oil dripping than in the photo and they said that they do not know what the problem is, or how serious it is because this hasn't happened on a brand new bike before. They are guessing it might be head gasket, or factory fault head or whatever else Triumph are telling them to check. They don't have a clue....

So today I sit at home with an empty bank account and no bike for at least a week after only enjoying my ride for only 2hrs. Not happy Jan.
Can anybody tell me how serious this problem is for a brand new Rocket III.

P.S. Hope the image will appear!!!

Perth, Western Australia

Triumph Rocket III 2015 Oil Leak.JPG

Hello, Red Back Rocket,and welcome.....this could be your lucky day!!When I purchased my R3T from private party with only 500 miles on it, i had the same type of leak you are showing. I went into panic mode as I was 1000 miles from home. I stopped at a repair shop and was instantly relieved when the mechanic told me that when new, the bike is sprayed with cosmoline, a protecting waxie substance to protect the bike during shipping. He said that some areas are difficult to get to when cleaning, hence the dripping you are seeing. I would contact the dealer and not have them do anything but a little more cleaning and ride the bike just checking the oil on occasion. As far as the triumph sticker it may very well be just a plastic cover for protection on a new bike. Good Luck!!

Hello, Red Back Rocket,and welcome.....this could be your lucky day!!When I purchased my R3T from private party with only 500 miles on it, i had the same type of leak you are showing. I went into panic mode as I was 1000 miles from home. I stopped at a repair shop and was instantly relieved when the mechanic told me that when new, the bike is sprayed with cosmoline, a protecting waxie substance to protect the bike during shipping. He said that some areas are difficult to get to when cleaning, hence the dripping you are seeing. I would contact the dealer and not have them do anything but a little more cleaning and ride the bike just checking the oil on occasion. As far as the triumph sticker it may very well be just a plastic cover for protection on a new bike. Good Luck!!

I have the same problem with Cosmoline with my touring when I brought it home in 2008

It was more of a amber liquid it didnt look anything like engine oil

looks to be a bit too far to the right to be leaking from the pipe that joins the oil tank to the crankcase. the triumph sticker there looks like it may be a thin film of clear plastic you get on new stuff bubbling a bit?

hope its a simple explanation or you get a new bike

Yeah that plastic bubble is likely the protective layer. Oil leak, no mood though, ask for a new bike IMHO.

No excuse for that to happen so early in its life.

Back