mully95

Living Legend
Ride
Roadster
Hello fellow rocketeers!

Got a question..... the pads on my bike are EBC double H brake pads in the front and rear positions. Been running these since I started replacing them back years ago.

EBC has a bedding in procedure in which I can vouch that it made the brake pads work better. Read at the bottom for proper procedure. The procedure posted came straight off the EBC website so it is correct. I didn't know this on the first couple sets of brake changes.

Now the observation I have is that even though I have applied anti squeal compound to the back of the pads, and have completed the bed in procedure, I still get a squeal in the front brakes.

Take note however that after the procedure is completed the pads don't start squealing immediately but after 1000 miles or so. This happens when I'm coming to a stop at a red light just about the time I am coming to a complete stop. It will not go away UNTIL the bedding process is done again.
It finally hit me one day after trying to figure out how can I fix the squealing .... why not try the bedding process again and see if it will fix the squealing. After completing the procedure the squeal is gone and has not come back. The squeal was gone immediately after the procedure was completed.Strange.

Would contaminates getting on the pads or rotor cause this? Everything is mechanically sound. Has new brake fluid. Clean and lubed slide pins. 30k miles on bike.

I posted this for mainly curiosity reasons as well as if anyone is having brake squeal and just about to pull their hair out ...... now you know how to fix it.

Only thing I can figure is after getting the brake parts hot it burns the contaminates off. ??

Bedding in procedure

"In Street use situations … Bedding in when the red EBC surface coating (marked on the pads as Brake In) is applied. Best procedure is to drive gently avoiding harsh braking unless in an emergency for first 100 miles. In the second 100 miles (up to 200) you can use gently increasing brake pressures when using the brakes.

Only after 200 miles urban driving (not 200 miles on a freeway where brakes are almost unused) should you attempt to apply heavy load and heat to the brakes. To do this final bedding on a QUIET ROAD in safe traffic apply the brakes and slow from 60 to 10 MPH five times in a row. Then drive slowly for a few minutes if safe to do so to allow the brakes to cool. Try to avoid coming to a rest whilst the brakes are heated.

A smell may be noticed from the warm brakes, this is normal. Repeat this procedure a second time after the brakes have TOTALLY cooled down. EBC pads get better with miles. Even after this bed in procedure it can take up to 1500 miles before the pads are at their best. In the meantime the pads will be good and safe but true potential not realised. EBC makes performance pads that last, they do not bed in within 5 minutes driving. Noises will be more likely during the first 1000-1500 miles use whilst this chemical bedding takes place.

NEVER attempt to sand or scotchbrite brake pads to assist it bedding in or noise reduction,this will only make things worse by taking the pads “Off-Flat” and require hundreds of miles driving to seat them again during which time the brakes will feel very dull. The only way to seat pads is against the rotor they will be used on and by following our bedding recommendation."

Gday Mully I've only just switched to EBC double hh on my last set. I've not had any squeal after about 5000km. Prior to the EBC's she squealed like a stuck pig.

I did the bedding procedure as described and haven't had to do it again

Gday Mully I've only just switched to EBC double hh on my last set. I've not had any squeal after about 5000km. Prior to the EBC's she squealed like a stuck pig.

I did the bedding procedure as described and haven't had to do it again

Trying to determine if others have had the squeal. Maybe it's the soap I use or something.

Seems as if the hotter the pads get the better they brake. Makes since I guess.

I have always thought it was the pad material that caused the squeal.

The OEM pads were fine in my bike until around 25000 km's then they got noisy.

...and I wonder if braking style makes a difference. I brake hard and late as a general rule. I was taught by a bloke who was a pretty good rally driver that late and hard was the way to go with pads that didn't have asbestos in them.

Mully, I have had the same. I think if you ride in the rain & pick up road oils with the water & dirt from the road that it slicks out your rotors until you re-bed them. that's the cycle I've noticed with my EBC's anyhow :thumbsup:

I don't know about that Scot. You should be PROUD to have been a B/L mechanic. You would have to be one of the best mechanics to keep them on the road. And I would bet you were probably one of the busiest mechanics around.

Mully, I have had the same. I think if you ride in the rain & pick up road oils with the water & dirt from the road that it slicks out your rotors until you re-bed them. that's the cycle I've noticed with my EBC's anyhow :thumbsup:

Well then that answers it. Strange that I never had that problem with my other bikes. Must be the brake pad material then.

Back in the day when I was a British Leyland mechanic(embarrassed admitting that) a few models used to squeal on the front pads we found cutting a small grove in the middle of the pad with a hacksaw did the trick, by small grove i mean right across the pad about 1/8" deep

Strange, as up North I used to hunt feral pigs and usually found the squealers hiding in the 'groves' of Melaleuca paperbark swamps.;):p:D:D:D

Ya shoulda patented that. I have seen heaps of brands new factory pads with those grooves.

Back