Brake Problems on 07 R3

bopa54

3rd Time Lucky
Ride
85 GS1100G, 08 R1200RT, 07/15R3 Hybrid
Having problems with bleeding the Front brakes on my 2007 R3, no matter what they are still spongy.
Anyone had the same problem, if so how did ya fix it?
Also will a R3 Touring rear disc fit on a Standard R3 rear wheel.
All help appreciated, cheers

Take the cap off the reservoir and very slowly press the pistons in the caliper in, fluid will squirt if you are not very careful.or rebuild the master with a piston kit.

Last edited:
Cable tie the lever overnight...make sure your disks are cold. Pull the lever and cable tie it in place.

If you have an issue with seals this won't fix it...a rebuild will be the only solution.

Ok looks like a rebuild kit is the go, what about the rear disc from a R3T onto a Std anyone know if it will fit? want to know before I buy it.
Pedro,Jason thanks for the tips/info

I done the above.

Had the front brakes done at the stealer and the still feel a bit spongy I just adjust braking to cope with it.

Take the cap off the reservoir and very slowly press the pistons in the caliper in, fluid will squirt if you are not very careful.or rebuild the master with a piston kit.
Pry the calipers apart on one side of the wheel first, then pump the brakes to put the slave piston back where it is supposed to be, then repeat for the slave piston on the other side. Keep an eye on the brake fluid in the reservoir while you do this. This should make them rock solid.

btw, I usually did this without removing the cap on the fluid reservoir

IMG_0625.JPG IMG_0637.JPG IMG_0617.JPG
Front and back caliper rebuild. Drain your lines and flush with new DOT4.
I was having braking deficit, discs overheating and noises.
This was a good fix. Did not have to rebuild the masters.
Have the kits in case they indicate weakness or leak.
I'm a slow caveman and was able to do it.

Going to let Marco at Iron Mike's do the Valkyrie. He has to make a living. Labor, $90 per caliper.

I've done all of the above several times.
The brakes are great, just what they should be ....... for a period of time then it's back to the soggy lever.
New Caliper seal kits, replaced original line with two separate brake lines, new kit in the Master Cylinder, bleed the system a dozen times.
All good for a while then back to spongy.

The later Roadsters have a 16 mm (5/8) bore master cylinder, the earlier ones are 14. something.
Apart from the ABS, I do wonder if the change to the larger bore Master Cylinder on the Roadster has improved this situation.

It is not an uncommon complaint with these earlier Bikes.

I've done all of the above several times.
The brakes are great, just what they should be ....... for a period of time then it's back to the soggy lever.
New Caliper seal kits, replaced original line with two separate brake lines, new kit in the Master Cylinder, bleed the system a dozen times.
All good for a while then back to spongy.

The later Roadsters have a 16 mm (5/8) bore master cylinder, the earlier ones are 14. something.
Apart from the ABS, I do wonder if the change to the larger bore Master Cylinder on the Roadster has improved this situation.

It is not an uncommon complaint with these earlier Bikes.

Paul; I ran out of experience here. Mine have a play zone before they grab. Have had to adjust the play at the handle. Just know that it is there but the bike is going to stop.

Back