BRAKE FLUID CHANGE >>>IMPORTANT

Micksan

Supercharged
Ride
2023 Triumph R3 GT, 2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT,
This may seem like it from the left field but it important enough to warn you folks.
My wife has a 2012 Goldwing trike. We got a recall in yesterday on the brake master cylinder . Took it to a really reliable dealer. The service manager told me that the reason for it is that a lot of people were not changing their brake fluid as recommended by the manufacturer , which is causing them to lock up.
I know it is a Honda but your brakes work on the same basic system. I change mine every year. Takes about 20 minutes per bike ( have 6) , also do the hydro clutch. Never have had to replace a master cylinder or caliper on my bikes . Have helped others who left it to long and the absorbed moisture resulted in pits in the pistons. It is a expensive replacement for one of the parts. Cheaper to invest in a bottle of DOT 4.
One more note. Your brakes take the old style brake fluid , be careful that you DO NOT get ahold of a bottle of synthetic fluid. That was all I could find at our local Walmart.
Hate to see any of you along side of the road because your brakes gave out. Could ruin a nice riding day.

We made that mistake on a 05 Bonneville. Ended up replacing pistons and seals very expensive and unnecessary. Now we change out brake fluid every year and flush the entire system out. Brake fluid is cheap compared to the cost of rebuilding calibers. By the way what rate micksan? I am a retired Signalman Senior Chief. Heard the Navy did away with that rate.

We made that mistake on a 05 Bonneville. Ended up replacing pistons and seals very expensive and unnecessary. Now we change out brake fluid every year and flush the entire system out. Brake fluid is cheap compared to the cost of rebuilding calibers. By the way what rate micksan? I am a retired Signalman Senior Chief. Heard the Navy did away with that rate.
Shivie waver>>> I was a TMCS in other words a fish peddler. I live in Del City. just off of I-40. Tele 202 0968 . I always have a pot of coffee on. Also a MC shop in the back yard.

Next time am out that way I will give you a call and stop by. I live out here in the suburbs of the big city of Henryetta. If you come out this way give a call tele 319-7234.

This may seem like it from the left field but it important enough to warn you folks.
My wife has a 2012 Goldwing trike. We got a recall in yesterday on the brake master cylinder . Took it to a really reliable dealer. The service manager told me that the reason for it is that a lot of people were not changing their brake fluid as recommended by the manufacturer , which is causing them to lock up.
I know it is a Honda but your brakes work on the same basic system. I change mine every year. Takes about 20 minutes per bike ( have 6) , also do the hydro clutch. Never have had to replace a master cylinder or caliper on my bikes . Have helped others who left it to long and the absorbed moisture resulted in pits in the pistons. It is a expensive replacement for one of the parts. Cheaper to invest in a bottle of DOT 4.
One more note. Your brakes take the old style brake fluid , be careful that you DO NOT get ahold of a bottle of synthetic fluid. That was all I could find at our local Walmart.
Hate to see any of you along side of the road because your brakes gave out. Could ruin a nice riding day.

I have rocket roaster 2015, has 6000 miles on it...i am a total newbie...is there a video on doing the brake fluid change/bleeding plus the recommended brake fluid for my model????

request to all the experts to share video when you do your services yourself...would help a lot....I checked YouTube but could not find anyone servicing the brake service for r3r 2015 abs one....

Thanks Miksan, great tip.
Only thing I would add is, for those who ride hard, use DOT5. I boiled my DOT4 on a track day (interesting experience), but then that may have been partially down to not changing fluid as regularly as I should. Not a mistake I am likely to repeat.

Back