Brake caliper leaking

jasondon

.020 Over
Hey guys, wondering if anyone can chime in on this. I did a search and didnt come up with anything.

My bike is still under warranty but I thought I would check here first. The rear brake caliper is leaking/seeping a little bit of brake fluid after I use the rear brake. It isnt much, but enough to wet the area around the bleed nipple. I checked to make sure it was snug, and it is. It is leaking as if it were loose because it appears to be coming from the threads, but its definitely snug. The brake appears to be working fine.

Any thoughts / ideas would be appreciated before I get it booked into the dealer to let them check it/fix it under warranty.

Cheers,
Jason

Hey guys, wondering if anyone can chime in on this. I did a search and didnt come up with anything.

Any thoughts / ideas would be appreciated before I get it booked into the dealer to let them check it/fix it under warranty.

Cheers,
Jason

Jason, sounds like your nipple or the seat is malformed,cracked or has an obstacle like grit in there. I would take it back to the dealer and get it fixed, could be a crack in the nipple seat which is uncommon but could cause you grief if not replaced.

It won't hurt to let the dealer take care of it...

Thanks Binnsy...my thoughts exactly, just thought I would see if anyone else has had this happen. I doubt it is a difficult fix but because it is under warranty, I will let the dealer get their hands dirty :D

I Figured I would post a follow up on this, just in case anyone else runs into the same problem. I had the dealer replace the bleed nipple & cover (under warranty)and bleed the brake, it seems to have fixed the problem. Most likely something got in there and was causing it to weep a little, but the problem appears to be fixed.

Cheers,

Jason

I spoke too soon, the brake caliper is still leaking. Swung by the dealership, they have now ordered a whole new caliper under warranty...that should fix the problem :)

My 2014 Rocket Touring right front caliper is leaking from the piston seals, onto the pads & disc. I first noticed a MARKEDLY REDUCED braking performance.
Seals were silly crazy money, had to order them in from UK. (Still unsure I have the correct ones, the parts list was ambiguous).

BLOODY HELL! It WAS the bleeder! What kind of garbage, low-rent, lowest bidder ****heads thought a surface finish like a MOONSCAPE was good for a sealing seat on a BRAKING SYSTEM!!
3562524E-59B8-458A-97B4-6C11462C1CF8.jpeg
3922BEE5-2C49-49DE-BBC9-25BC9AC72FCF.jpeg
9CC0272F-9B6C-46C2-A557-4FCE4549BCAA.jpeg

Anyone care to guess my rear brake is going to the floorboard now? Been doing it a few weeks. It pumps up, a little. Reservoir is at the correct level. Flushed the fluid a couple years ago. Pads were replaced a year ago. Worked great.
But now, to the bottom.

Last edited:
Back