Brake bleeder recommendation

Navigator

Living Legend
Ride
2009 Rocket Touring
It will be about time this summer to start thinking of flushing the brake lines on two of my bikes.

My 09 Touring has only 6300 miles and has never been serviced other than oil changes; three of them and my sidecar rig with a brake on the car will be a little tricky.

I have one of those Harbor Freight brake bleeders but have never used it and don't really trust it.

There are many for sale on line from $18 to about $150 so I'm not even sure what to purchase. I'd appreciate hearing from any forum members who have one of these, what kind, quality, etc.

They are advertised under different names, brake bleeder, brake vacuum pump, brake fluid extractor......

Replace the nipples with Speedbleeders. Suck the old fluid out of the reservoir. Purr new one and force it down the line to the caliper side.
I would also remove the caliper and scrub/wash it with soap and water. Remount and torque.

Russell ‘Speedbleeders’ | Metric (8mm)

[Ed Note: these are brass]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Navigator, I have a vacuum bleeder. Its a kit that has a handpump that can be used to pump vacuum or pressure and has various connections and accessories like hopper bottles to collect the fluid you've vacuumed out. It is not specifically a brake bleeding kit ad can be used for other applications like fuel injection testing.

It was about $100NZD so about $70USD and you'd probably get it cheaper over there from what Ive seen in your hardware stores. Is some no name brand

Some of the connections they give you are a bit marginal but once youve got the main bits its easy to adapt other hoses etc and add on bits, the pump and hoppers though are very nice quality which was unexpected.

I use it to bleed the front brakes as they are a dog to get all the air out of on the R3 and this makes it a one person job. No pumping brake lever and opening closing brake lever and trying to be a contortionist.

1. Set pump for vacuum and attach hopper
2. Connect hose to bleed nipple.
3. Crank up a massive vacuum on the pump.
4. Crack bleed nipple and watch tilll you start to lose vacuum then close nipple.
5. Repeat.

Left out obvious stuff like removing brake reservoir lid and topping fluid so you dont suck air as that pretty obvious.

Mines similar to one below, this is not as gooder quality as mine, this was on Amazon for $30USD suggest buyinh better quality as its the pump that counts, pic just for reference. In fact the more I look at it this one looks really crappy.
51g6YP+0tsL.jpg
810p0EuoKHL._SL1500_.jpg

Replace the nipples with Speedbleeders. Suck the old fluid out of the reservoir. Poor new one and force it down the line to the caliper side.
I would also remove the caliper and scrub/wash it with soap and water. Remount and torque.

Russell ‘Speedbleeders’ | 240-813

Above is only way to go. If lines are have a lot of air you may have to pull vacuum on the speed bleeder.

I have installed speedbleeders on my Nomad, and my Valkyrie. They make it a one man job.
I will eventually add them to my r3t when needed.

I have installed speedbleeders on my Nomad, and my Valkyrie. They make it a one man job.
I will eventually add them to my r3t when needed.

I'm not sure what a speed bleeder is. I have a bleeder on the banjo bolt at the front master cylinder on my VStrom and it is very slick. Just pull the brake lever in, tape it there overnight and pop the bleeder in the morning. I got it from SV Racing but they specialize in Suzukis and the owner wasn't sure if it would fit my Rocket. I'd like to find one for it.

I'm not sure what a speed bleeder is. I have a bleeder on the banjo bolt at the front master cylinder on my VStrom and it is very slick. Just pull the brake lever in, tape it there overnight and pop the bleeder in the morning. I got it from SV Racing but they specialize in Suzukis and the owner wasn't sure if it would fit my Rocket. I'd like to find one for it.

Click the link in @1K9 post above.

They are a one way bleeder. Open them slightly, squeeze the brake lever, fluid & air comes out. Release brake lever, ball in speedbleeder closes so no air can come out. repeat till done.

Back