alexwasserman

.060 Over
Ride
R3T 2008, Trophy 1200 1995
Hey all,

Anyone have a recommendation on braided steel clutch, throttle, and brake lines?

Speigler has some for the R3, but not sure they'll fit an R3T - I know given the bike has a different rear assuming at least that won't fit even if the front does.

Any other good sources?

Thanks,

Alex

In the USA - Barnett - they list R3's and you can specify over/under length too. CAUTION with uncoated braided cables - they file everything they touch.

OK guys, per something I read on here, I'm trying the Harley Softtail Springer 12" Handlebars. Bar Spec is actually 10.5. I put them on with the Rivco Risers and need the cables just slightly extended. Thinking +3" on Clutch and Throttle Cables. Also,3 inches for brake line. Your Thoughts.

With the Rivco risers alone and stock bars, +3 inches is WAY too much on throttle cables at least. You want maybe 0.5 inches over the stock, otherwise they start bulging. I got +1 inch and had to route them through the left hole on the triple tree to keep them off the shield. The throttle cables are laid in a gentle curve as it is, and you can in fact make do with the stock cables for the Rivco risers. Just need a touch more length to really make them perfect.

I got Barnett's cables. The clutch cable is probably fine with +2, +2.5, but make sure you measure your current ones very thoroughly and order a specific length from them. I'd recommend you get the bars you want, mock them up and measure how much your stock cables are off and only then order, otherwise there is a big risk you'll be unhappy.

For me, the lengths I got the first time by ordering "Rocket 3 Touring stock length + 2 inches" were wildly off. Comparing their design schematics (they sent me a set in PDF) with my stock cables showed pretty noticeable discrepancies to begin with, and they also managed to make the throttle cables inverted - ie, the longer one was hugely shorter. They did make good for free though, I got a complete replacement set, so in that sense there's no risk ordering from Barnett. Their low friction clutch cable really made a difference too, so I'd recommend them. But you have to pay attention to what you order, and compare to your stock cables and give a specific length you want for each cable.

It's surprising how exact you have to be for one like me who hasn't really replaced cables before. Cables are stiff and have zero give, so just one inch off means they bulge out and up like nobody's business. They also have to be in a smooth curve, any attempts at kinks, even slight kinks, will cause them to bind (which I'm sure most people reading this know, but I just didn't allow for how precise you had to be at first.)

As for brake lines, Spiegler and HEL have nice ones. The primary difference for the R3 Touring to the Rocket sets they have (that won't fit out of the box) is that the line from the reservoir down to where the split occurs is longer, so you need to order a custom set. Again, I'd recommend measuring and mocking up before placing an order.

If you want to clean up the electrical wiring too and get it all shiny: http://www.techflex.com/prod_cxn.asp

In an interesting coincidence, my Chrome XC cable covers showed up today. Here's a potato quality picture of them on the kitchen table.

chrome-xc.jpg

I have been running the stock bar with Rivco risers for the past 2 years. Adding the 12" apes from Kustom Khrome has the brake line two short and angle on throttle cables with too much bend. Clutch cable was already tight the old way.

Last edited:
Yeah to put the riser on you have to reroute the stock clutch cable next to the triple tree, not very neat, that's why I ordered a whole set of stainless. Turned out to be quite a production though.

My bank here actually screwed up the money transfer, unbelievably; it took weeks to sort out and they got a bit testy with me from Barnett, but I literally went to the bank to get it done right instead of trying myself and then the bank fouled it up...

Barnett are in the dark ages when it comes to payments, no Paypal, no online ordering... you can hand them your credit card info but I'm paranoid about that and refused, so had to do a bank transfer. The second time I tried doing it myself and it worked, so not thrilled with the bank people for sucking that badly at THE ONE JOB they have...

Anyway, quite happy with the result, so all's well that ends well etc.

Ok, spoke with Barnett. Pretty affordable on cables. Length +4 on throttle and +9 on the clutch. Clutch is more due to bar angle points it upward so I'm allowing for bending.

They said I would have to send them my brake cable and they send it out to supplier to make. I found another brake line source. http://www.spieglerusa.com/

They do custom with the "T". I gave them the lengths just like stock but +4 on handlebar end. $165.00. They also make it in any color you want. Pretty cool

Barnett are in the dark ages when it comes to payments, no Paypal, no online ordering... you can hand them your credit card info but I'm paranoid about that and refused, so had to do a bank transfer. The second time I tried doing it myself and it worked, so not thrilled with the bank people for sucking that badly at THE ONE JOB they have...

I've found for situations like this that it can be easiest to just use your banks on-line bill-pay system. I've used it for contractors, and similar types who have cash-only policies. Just input their address, make up and account number, and the bank mails them a check automatically. Can take a couple of days, but it's pretty easy, and on their end they just get a check for them to process as they normally would.

They said I would have to send them my brake cable and they send it out to supplier to make. I found another brake line source. http://www.spieglerusa.com/

They do custom with the "T". I gave them the lengths just like stock but +4 on handlebar end. $165.00. They also make it in any color you want. Pretty cool

Do you remember the stock lengths? Saves me going out in the snow to measure...

Back