Boneville Speedmaster

You can’t really compare the air cooled and water cooled bikes. More than the Bonnevilles, the new Speedmaster has few similarities to the older one. That’s not to say the air cooled model isn’t a great bike. It was in the top group for sales for several years and was probably the best all round classic cruiser in its class. It certainly was my favourite. When I was selling them, Triumph Australia called me ”the Speed master” because I was selling roughly one a week and outselling every dealership in the country for them, so I do know.
The new one, in my opinion is superior in many ways. It has a substantially bigger engine (1200cc) high torque, water cooled, 6 gears in place of 5, ABS and traction control, ride by wire, riding modes, cruise control, lots of factory accessories still available.
Negatives are that luggage options are limited and the seating perhaps isn’t quite as comfortable.
The riding position also is also very different. The air cooled model had flattish bars and forward controls. The new one has slightly less forward controls and bars that pull back a long way and in many way has an older, more retro feel. It makes me want to put on a leather helmet and flying goggles.
My advice is to try to ride them both. Both wonderful bikes in their class but quite different.

Thank you for the feedback. There are at least two contemporanean versions of the liquid cooled. I think it came out in 2018. Cruise control, rear mono shock, adjustable front forks. Are all of those new 1200 liquid cooled motors using throttle body fuel injection like the rocket? I'm looking at a 2006. Do you know when they started using throttle body fuel injection?

Thank you for the feedback. There are at least two contemporanean versions of the liquid cooled. I think it came out in 2018. Cruise control, rear mono shock, adjustable front forks. Are all of those new 1200 liquid cooled motors using throttle body fuel injection like the rocket? I'm looking at a 2006. Do you know when they started using throttle body fuel injection?
Pretty sure they went from 790cc to 865cc in 2005.....in 2008 they went to fuel injection and in 2018 the 1200cc was introduced. I had a 2012 Speedie and loved it...it was quite grunty and easy to ride. I'm thinking the 1200 would be alot better obviously in torque.

So it would have to be a 2018 or newer. The old carburetors all suffer from alcohol poisoning. The hard tail look with the mono-shock is it. I think it also has adjustable front forks and dual front rotors. No cable throttle and cruise control. The Thunderbird looks very nice but it is almost as heavy as the Rocket.

You can’t really compare the air cooled and water cooled bikes. More than the Bonnevilles, the new Speedmaster has few similarities to the older one. That’s not to say the air cooled model isn’t a great bike. It was in the top group for sales for several years and was probably the best all round classic cruiser in its class. It certainly was my favourite. When I was selling them, Triumph Australia called me ”the Speed master” because I was selling roughly one a week and outselling every dealership in the country for them, so I do know.
The new one, in my opinion is superior in many ways. It has a substantially bigger engine (1200cc) high torque, water cooled, 6 gears in place of 5, ABS and traction control, ride by wire, riding modes, cruise control, lots of factory accessories still available.
Negatives are that luggage options are limited and the seating perhaps isn’t quite as comfortable.
The riding position also is also very different. The air cooled model had flattish bars and forward controls. The new one has slightly less forward controls and bars that pull back a long way and in many way has an older, more retro feel. It makes me want to put on a leather helmet and flying goggles.
My advice is to try to ride them both. Both wonderful bikes in their class but quite different.
OMG! The mental picture! Leather helmet, flying goggles, "The Speed Master" on the jacket. Prolly a scarf too?

And jeans tucked into boots...............

I can see some potential here.................

I'd definitely go for the newer model. Rick, a 2006 is already 15 years old, you can't beat fuel injection, more power, and cruise.

I had a 2003 America, the twin brother to the Speedy. Rode that thing across Canada. Equipped with carbs which could be tuned by the seat of your pants. I think the older Speedy/America had a longer wheelbase than the current model. It also had a large pillion seat (America) if you wanted to go 2 up. The older model could also be hopped up to 1200cc relatively cheap. Performance pistons, cams, cylinders and carbs were available.

Back