Bolt fell behind the oil tank . . . how involved to move, or let it be ?

Joesmoe

IMOKUR2
Ride
Triumph: 2014 Rocket III Touring
Is the oil tank connected in such a way that it can be moved without spilling oil everywhere, or does the process of moving it even a little require draining the oil ?

If you must know, the instructions for the RamAir kit are explicit . . . to put a cloth in that gap when working, and I did, and was done, and was doing something else, and fumble fingers "click" "click" "tink" and the lost bolt was no-where to be seen, and I suspect is lodged between the oil tank and the engine.

This happened to me as well. Don't assume it fell behind there. Assuming your tank is propped up still, have you removed all of the stock intake plenum? That gave me a much better view with a strong flashlight. I was able to find my bolt lodged between a few electrical connections and used an extendable magnetic retriever tool to get it.

I have heard that it is best to get it out of there. Eventually, and I have no idea how long it takes to get to eventually, it may wear a hole in the tank from vibrating against the tank. I have no idea how valid this is but it does make a little bit of sense. Of course it could be nearly forever before it happens, or just a few months. Too much uncertainty to leave it there.

bob

Thank you both. :)

I'll look some more . . . yes I had already removed all the intake plumbing, and was refastening the junction for the O2 sensor, reusing the bolt that had attached it the plenum, and down it went.

So the question . . . if it's back there, how involved is it to dislodge the oil tank for this purpose ? :banghead:

In most cases if the bolt could fit back there so could a slim magnetic retriever tool. Start fishing around with it. you won't feel it grab the bolt so the best way is to bring the tool back up very slowly, in case it's in the end, so it won't small off. Good luck! I'd do all I can before removing the oil tank.

Try ALL options before removing the oil tank, unless you like removing throttle bodies as well, and possibly dropping something else down there in the process, and possibly not seating the oil tank correctly and having to do it again.

Back