Bobber Rear Shock replaced

atomsplitter

Living Legend
Ride
17 T-120 Black, 20 Bobber Black, 98 Trophy 1200
I took the opportunity to replace the rear shock on the Bobber this afternoon. Not overly difficult since the Bobber only has one and it's under the seat. Job one was remove the old shock:
1636053455172.jpeg

Now I'm fairly certain that in some countries that shock would be a criminal offense. It's made to suit the average flyweight wrestler or middle schooler. For someone of my bulk it went flat on mild bumps and was like riding a hardtail on moderate and above road imperfections.

The new shock I installed is better:
1636053778412.jpeg

First it can be adjusted for rider weight with the preload collar and then road compliance with the compression and rebound damping adjustments. It's not cheap, but neither is weekly visits to the chiropractor to get my back straightened out. An initial test ride was impressive. Ride and road compliance is off the charts better than the OEM unit. Looking forward to somce more miles this weekend for a better evaluation. One thing great is if I'm not happy with some aspect I can adjust it until I am. Next is the fork upgrade. On that front the fly in the ointment is the lack of heavy springs on Planet Earth. The required springs are 08429-10 and nobody has those in stock anywhere. I did find someone in Germany that said they had them but they were like the guys in North Carolina that showed "in stocl" but they would order from OhlinsEU and they don't have any, just like OhlinsUSA doesn't. Ohlins won't have my springs until February 2022. The recommended spring rate from Ohlin's was 10N/mm but there are none anywhere. I do have a set of 9.5N/mm that I'll use until the correct ones become available. It won't be perfect but it's bound to be better than stock.

I adjusted the preload up about 3/4" to reduce static sag and then rode it about 10 miles on surface streets. What a major difference! potholes and road dips that overwhelmed the OEM shock were handled with aplomb. Not one jolt up my spine from the shock bottoming out. A really hard hit to the rear tire was just mild thump in my seat. When I sat on the bike with the OEM shock 1/2 of the useable travel was gone, leaving about 1 1/2 inches of travel left. Not enough for bigger hits. The side benefit of better rear suspension is the front doesn't feel as bad either. Was it worth the expense? You bet!!

It won't be perfect but it's bound to be better than stock.
I see what you did there...

The world's supply chain issue has become to political to talk about anymore. But when it affect motorcycle parts...

I looked at the Bobber when they first came out and was told I am too big for one. Now that I have the little XS, she says I am too big for it too. But it works, so maybe I will look at the Bobber again in the future....

I see what you did there...

The world's supply chain issue has become to political to talk about anymore. But when it affect motorcycle parts...

I looked at the Bobber when they first came out and was told I am too big for one. Now that I have the little XS, she says I am too big for it too. But it works, so maybe I will look at the Bobber again in the future....
I'm not saying it's perfect for us big boys, but it's a lot easier to get on and off than the Rocket. I'm over 300 pounds and the suspension for these little buggers is setup for someone half that weight. It's also a solo ride, so the suspension is a universal fit, a one size fits none approach. I can't help but wonder why Triumph doesn't use their dealer network to offer factory customization. Once the front end gets done and the forward controls installed it should be a very comfy ride. One thing I thought was cool was the installed cruise control. Not a bad idea for those longer rides once the suspenders are right.

Back