lineside

Standard Bore
I have '07 rocket and keep blowing the 15 amp fuse that runs the directional signals and brake light. Several months ago, I replaced the stock license/rear directionals bracket under the rear fender but have not ever had a problem - the new bracket brings everything up under the rear fender and looks better. Never had a problem with it over the past 5,000 miles.

Also - - I added heated grips a short while ago - and ever since, it has been blowing fuses on the directional signal/brake lights circuit with no consistency - sometimes it will run a couple of hundred miles - no problem - then all of a sudden, the fuse blows.

I've checked all the circuits, jiggled wires, check the bulbs-front and back on the directionals to make sure they were not grounding. I cannot find anything that is
grounding or looks like it may not be grounding. I am baffled and cannot find anything
that is amiss. - It looks like it might be an insolvable problem - so I carry a lot of extra
fuses with me - is the only solution to change the wiring harness? - It is still under warranty and I appreciate any advise. thanks.

Since you worked under the rear mud guard to do you electric, be sure no rubs have occurred with the harness and all it up tight.
I don't know off hand the amp requirement of the heated grips and I'm sure there's an easy hook up for them. In any case, the grips and brake/signal lights surely require more than 15a fuse. That's my guess without dragging out the diagrams and magnifying glass.

Last edited:
Check the manufacturers suggestion for amp draw on the grips youll probably find that this number added to the signal/brake draw requires a larger fuse. It should state that though somewhere. A rubbing harness does sound like a culprit here.

Good luck!

And depending on who or how those heated grips are hooked up you could be using the wrong connectors for it. Under that gas tank there are separate wiring connectors for the heated grips, clock and fuel gage and behind the battery cover panel on the right side (sitting on the bike) there is a separate connector for the 12V auxilary socket/BMW type plug.
Dennis

47 dtg

I will recommend what Dennis said, electrical issues are not my bag but some did osmosize from my dad. Dennis is that tour days or to break days left?

Baggage1, that would be how many days till I am stateside for R&R (March 1st I'll be flying in...I hope).
46 dtg

You mentioned you checked this, but figured id mention it again as its a problem i had with my directional lights when i changed out the lenses.. it was embarrasing and cost me $100. to have the dealer find it.. :-(

I bought some Harley chrome and clear lenses and replaced the "front" orange bullet lenses on my R3..
I did have the bulbs out, and when i put them back in (one side only) i mistakenly put it in with the little pin in the socket either up or down cant remember now but that was as you said causing it to short out and blow the fuse.. so make sure the bulb is in correctly. I had never seen this type of socket before so it was all new to me, maybe it is to others here as well so figured its worth mentioning..

Good luck.

Back