Bike wont tick over - just dies

leigh_m_gardner

Supercharged
Today the 2005 Rocket3 would not idle/tick over. I had washed the bike the previous day (bike has cutdown bear claw and 3 KNs). The bike runs fine, just wont tick over.

I believe it to be the TPS either needing resetting or replacing. I am pretty certain the TPS is the newer type (blue).

Assuming the TPS is fine, what else might it be? I will be checking the tps settings tomorrow via TuneECU.

Sent from SYDland....

OK - first task was to check the TPS (using TuneECU) - it was out registering at .64/.65 and the stepper was registering .73/74

I don't personally see why those settings would cause the bike to refuse to tick over, but I adjusted them accordingly to .60 and .72 respectively and it now ticks over spot on. I also took the opportunity to check the throttle bodies balances and they were also spot on...

throttle-bodies-729918.jpg

On a trip yesterday, my rear right hand indicator wasnt working - blown bulb probably! Taking the lens off I found this...

indicator-1-733371.jpg

OK, even though the left hand indicator is working lets check that one....

indicator-2-736469.jpg

Off to the dealers tomorrow to see what they have to say about this. Knowing Triumph, probably f*ck all since this is a 2005 bike.

Anyways, the bikes running find.

My question would be was the stepper motor fully retracted when you read the TPS voltage? I would suspect it was not since you just cycled the key. Thsi si why I set the TPS during the ISCV reset as it automatically retract the idle stepper motor clear so you know it is at fully close position. Tune ECU might have a way of doing this and I am just not versed at it.

Might be worth raising the idle revs whilst you're at it, remember Scott ( Warp for those who don't yet know him 8) )
found that oil pressure is seriously low below 1000revs....:eek3:

Back