bike wont start

Bigfoot

.060 Over
Ride
2006 Rocket Classic, 2007 Rocket
ok I finally did the EB headlight wiring and went to start up the bike and it goes as normal with the cycling etc and then when I hit the start button I hear a loud click in the midsection of the bike and then it recycles as in turning the key back on and then the loud click will happen again when hitting the start button again........... prior to this I had no problems starting I am at a loss as to whats wrong ......any help would be great thanks Bigfoot

to explain a little better the loud click noise is loud not a relay click it almost sounds more like a metallic ping

Last edited by a moderator:
Check your battery terminals are tight. If the headlights go off and then you get a click of the starter relay then you don't have enough amps to spin the motor, that sounds like a battery connection is loose to me.

Checked all connections again all seem good and tight rechecked headlight connections all in proper slots.Checked all fuses. When I turn on the key it cycles normally and I had checked the low and high beams both are brighter than before as advertised, also checked the kill switch, then I hit the start button the headlights go off as normal and then alls it does is thunk once, could it be the starter? all battery connections are clean and tight Im not trying to be repetitive but I dont know what else to check.......could it be in the starter area as it only thunks/clicks once and will not continue to crank like it used to I am going to try and jump start it to see if its a low battery and if it isnt Im really at a loss to what it could be

I wonder if you have damaged the battery when tightening the bolts, a full battery test is advisable. The other thing to look at would be your earth contacts (overlooked a lot of the time) check the leads from the battery to their destination. Also make sure you haven't dropped a wire off the battery when refitting.

Ok now I feel kind of dumb but I do have an excuse........ Everything was done correctly and the battery did need a charge, It was just that after the EB mod the lights were so bright I didnt even think about the battery being on the low side, but it was and all is well now.........Well almost.....now the engine light is on so I will be working on that problem later on......Thanks for all your input

The engine light will clear after the bike has run for a few minutes. It's the after fact low battery idiot warning. Happens when you change the battey too.

Sorry , my bike was stored for one year and send from US down to Argentina , had same issue but have you checked voltage of battery? Must be at least 12 v, mines was dead and put into a slow circle charge for 20 hours, then I checked voltage and was at 10 V , so decided to buy a new one, put it in and the bike started as his name....rocket , electronics are case sensitives in this bike's, so better check this before , with 10 volt starter will prompt but electrical system will be unable to make it start, hope you solve it

Or, if you just have to get out and ride right now, jump start the bike from your car battery. Even with a weak battery, 15-20 minutes of riding should charge it up enough so that you won't get stranded.

If the battery has as low a charge as it sounds, it more than likely is time for a new one!

Back