Bike won't come down revs!!

Reaper948

.040 Over
:confused: Ill be riding along and pull in the clutch to stop and the bike will sit at 2100, 2500, or 3000 and will STAY idling at that RPM until I shut it off - Ive had to shut off the bike on the highway making turns out the exits! Someone help me out :(

On my 3rd one in 65K miles. This time with the 'new' blue inner workings, so hoping that will end that problem!.. Also, the idle stepper motor could be the issue as well.

Cleaning the crank angle sensor may help.

Good point Goth, and a free fix if it works.

Other than that it'll be the TPS. Can be the stepper motor but go for the TPS first.
I changed the motor first on mine and wasted $300 for nothing.

There's threads on all 3 problems here. Most of the good ones have been made stickys

yep, I agree with what everyone else has already said.
Do the crank angle sensor first, zero cost.
Then the TPS.
You might find some filth on the crank angle sensor,
but I'll bet dollars to donut holes your problem is the TPS.
Classic symptoms for sure.
Wait a minute,,,,
is your bike red?
you might need another motor, those red ones act up like that,
just before they leave parts strewn along the highway.
looks like a harly went that way......;)

Just funnin ya,
order a new TPS cause the dealer probably won't have one in stock,
and you need it..

The TPS is basically a rheostat (think volume control on your radio). Over time (usually 15-25k miles) the TPS develops a flat spot right around the setting that equates to 2000 rpm (~55 mph in top gear). Some a little higher others a little lower. That's why it "hangs" at those revs. When you kill the engine, the electrical charge holding the armature to the flat spot releases and the armature is allowed to rotate back to the lower position.

Back